Switching pellets?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnylovin1093

Reaction score
Hi guys so I"m thinking about switching over Bambi's pellets from Peters to Oxbow. How long should it take to make the transition?

:happybunny:

Generally, the longer the better. There's no harm in making it take a little longer, it will simply make the transition easier.

If you feed a 1/4 cup per day, I recommend mixing 1/4 cup of the new with 1 cup of the old and then feeding that mix for 5 days. Then mix 1/2 cup of the new, with 3/4 cup of the old and feed that for five days etc etc until you end up just feeding the new stuff. This will end up taking 20 days of transition before you're solely feeding the new pellet, it may seem like a long time, but it allows plenty of time for each increase in the amount of new pellets. If your rabbit shows problems with adjusting to the transition, you might want to rest the new pellets for a couple of days, and then start out again with a smaller amount like 1 tsp per day.

Some rabbits take to it really easily, others have a lot of trouble. It's even possible that the new pellet you are transitioning to will disagree with your bunn. So there's lots of possibilities, but it should go smoothly if you just take it slow and allow a few days on each increase of the new pellets :)

Usually a couple weeks is a good time line, but is can depend on how much old food you have left and what your rabbit tolerates. If you don't have a lot of food to transition with, then you have to go faster. If your rabbit doens't tolerate change well, then you need to go slower.

I usually do a 50/50 mix and feed that for a while, usually until I run out of the old food. My rabbits tend to transition well and I haven't had many problems with this. Some don't like going to a new food, so may resist more than others. I haven't had digestive problems though.

I would not do this but Bambi's old owner used to feed him new food all the time with no transition and it did not make him at all unwell. I think that means I can change over his pellets pretty quickly, not too quickly But it won't take a long time.

Latest posts

Back