NIC cubes or similar options?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't looked at their other products, but will have to do so now! :D How much is shipping for you? I guess it must be a fair bit more for shipping across to Perth, that's gotta suck :(

Wow, they do have a lot of cool stuff. I might have to get something for Bandit, maybe a timothy mat or some papaya treats. :D

They also stock Oxbow and Momi (which I've never heard of) hay, and they have a lot of options. Looks much better than the stuff I get from the pet store! Can't wait to get some along with a hay feeder, so I waste heaps less. My bunnies are messy; spreading their hay everywhere and going potty on it instead of eating. :p

Yeah I did look at the Momi, I'd never heard of it before either. With shipping it'd probably come out to about what I pay for a bag of oxbow which is $19 from a vet clinic near my house (ironically enough not Bandit's vet). Bandit's actually really good with his hay, I only keep it at one end of his litter box and the only time it goes anywhere is if it falls over the edge of the tray, thank goodness he doesn't have a habit of pushing it everywhere.

I love all the hand-made snuggle tents and things for the pigs they sell. I've been thinking about buying a little hooded cat bed for Bandit to use during winter, but I think all there's are geared towards guinea pigs so would be much too small for Bandit :p

Just wondering what your skill set level is. I made panels out of 2x4's, covered them with hardware cloth(wire mesh used on vents around the house for air but designed to keep bugs and critters out) and used door hinges and pins to link them. Worked great for our dogs so I don't see any problem with bunnies--our small dog at the time was a Great Dane.

You could use an X-pen to make a cage if you have the space and could even have more than one level. When I first brought the girls home I had a cage I made for them from their X-pen. The one I have has panels 28" wide and they are 46" tall. I simply set it up in a rectangle. The cage turned out to be 28" X 7', they even had enough room to binky. I bought them an extra large dog pen because 1. They are destructive and I got tired of trying to find flooring they wouldn't chew. I had tried a pond liner and then coroplast which didn't work because I had sides to it that they chewed since they weren't litter trained yet. A flat piece they cannot chew if you have it a little longer than the cage. 2. the set up I have now ensures not mating takes place through a cage since my buns are intact and I have females and a male.

The X pen to me seemed a little flimsy when set up as it was but if you put in levels it will help to make it sturdier.

I'm not sure what all you have available to you but you could support a level ,with wooden dowels zip tied to the X-pen, or shelves or maybe even some wire type fencing and then just place coroplast or some other material on top so their little feets don't go through the wiring.

Sometimes just switching their schedule around if possible can help. The girls are crazy energetic whereas Thumper is calm. Since I can't have the bunnies out at the same time I figured I'd let Thump out for the first half of the day and the girls later figuring they can run around before bed and be settled at night. That did not happen. Now I let them out in the morning and although they spend part of their time out now laying around where before they didn't they are now calm at night.

I forgot I wanted to mention hay racks. Sorry my brain is not awake yet. You can use items other than an actual built to be a hay rack, hay rack.

Thumper shay rack is a small plastic storage bin I found at the dollar store. It has small holes throughout it which I like because it helps keep the hay dust from building up. I simply cut one side open so he can reach in with no problems.

For the girls I found a plastic container that is actually made for placing in your shower to hold shampoo and such. It has small holes through it as well. It came with a large suction cup on the back and I simply removed it.

Both hay racks are hung on the cages using zip ties.

The one problem I did find is that if you buy something big enough for your bun to sit in they will hop in there and potty on the hay while they eat. What I have now I made sure was slightly too small for the buns to fit in and yet they both hold plenty of hay. I do give them hay twice a day but could stack more if I had to.

I don't know if it is something particularly odd about my 6 week old bunny, but he can jump and scale his crate which is nearly a meter high! I often find him up the top hanging on. Lol He'd be out of those open top enclosures in a flash. I think I might just have to settle for a large rather boring dog crate. Lol. But they sure do look cool. Fingers crossed my bun simmers down a bit.

I don't know if it is something particularly odd about my 6 week old bunny, but he can jump and scale his crate which is nearly a meter high! I often find him up the top hanging on. Lol He'd be out of those open top enclosures in a flash. I think I might just have to settle for a large rather boring dog crate. Lol. But they sure do look cool. Fingers crossed my bun simmers down a bit.

I have a two week old kit that has already managed to climb halfway up the wall of the cage! You should of seen the distressed look on mum's face it was like "OH NO, THEY CAN CLIMB."

That's why the open top design on the website is a design for guinea pigs, but the cubes can be used easily to create cages for rabbits, that definitely need a roof on them :p Bandit's not a climber, but he can jump quite well and he loves rattling those bars.

Oooh, I can't wait to get these cubes. I hate cleaning Felix and Clementine's current cage! It's hard to get into the nooks, and Felix loves tearing the wood off.

Oooh, so you ordered them?! Very exciting :D I can't wait... even though they're not mine, lol.

GUYS!!!! Just looking in the most recent Kmart catalogue I got, they have the cube sets! Granted, it seems they may only come in white (which I don't want, but they're here!). $25 for a 4 cube set, 16 grid squares. So less than online from guinea pigs Australia, but only in white from what I can tell. I can't find it on the Kmart website, but it's called Roomates stackable 4 cube wire set.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well... I've already got my setup completed... but that's so exciting for other Australians! :)

if you have a kmart near you definitely go to the store and check. i got 6 cube set for $21.00 in store and made this cage total cost $55

003_zps386e3510.JPG

That's the weird thing though, every time I've been into Kmart or a similar store, I check for the grids and have never seen them before. Sounds like you got a great price. I will have to hunt again.

Don't know how you managed to find them. I never have. They had the white ones, but no black

Well... I did it. Went on to Guinea Pigs Australia tonight and paid for four boxes of cubes :D That way I'll have them for when we move and I can get Bandit set up straight away. I'm excited :D

Latest posts

Back