Rabbit heart attacks?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you can try a large bath towel and burrito wrap him. make sure to give him a nice treat afterwards. piece of carrot or watermelon, etc.

Won't that scare him like transing him? He doesn't get a little afraid when I do it, he gets REALLY afraid. It's sad. He breaths so heavy and won't move an inch aside from his front paws shaking. :(

I am going to try to clip them while petting him. If that doesn't work, I will try the burrito and see if he is less afraid doing it that way. I have no clue what kind of environment he was in before I took him in a few months ago. It has taken quite a while for him to warm up to me and it seems like we are still making progress every day. He is so so sweet to me and is constantly grooming me and following me around the house, but he is definitely frightened easily and isn't a fan if being picked up/held. When he gets scared, he gets very very scared. I just worry about the heart attack issue.

I will update the next time I clip his nails. Thank you for your suggestions! :)

You could also try this method.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9KemnaTGIs[/ame]

That is incredible how easy she made that look. I think my rabbit would freak out when I lift his paw. But I could also try to flip him around and use the same technique with both paws.

I tried clipping his nails with me loving on him just now and he didn't go for it and ran off. It was on my bed though so maybe if I did it in his area where he feels safe. I'm going to try again shortly and see if any of these methods work

Do you have a slick floor somewhere? I described earlier how I use a slick floor to prevent mine from being able to escape. I keep him hedged in between my legs as I sit in a 'V.'

The only room I have carpet in are the 2 bedrooms. I can try it, but I think if I tried it on the tile that he would still constantly try to get away and definitely not sit still enough for me to clip his nails. Also, he has never let me touch him when he's not in the room. It's like he's a completely different bunny when he comes out and roams the house. I assumed it was because of the tile and him being scared that he can't get a good grip to be able to run off if he needed to.

I tried the method that was in the youtube link that was posted and it was a no go. I ended up having to trans him. I only did 2 nails and then let him go. I think that is how I'm going to have to do his nail trims from now on. Just lay him on his back and only do a few nails at a time in different segments. That way he's not laying there petrified for long.

My little bunny just died and I’m devastated. He was young and very sweet and affectionate with us. A cat got in the yard one evening and had him cornered. My dog had been in the house briefly but chased the cat off. Usually he is always out when the rabbits are to keep them safe. They are used to him. The baby bunny (he was about 5 months old) was unharmed and I picked him up and held him awhile. He likes to be held. His heart rate was fast but breathing seemed ok. I brought him in the house and he hopped on his own to his cage. He was less energetic for the next two days and didn’t eat much. Since he survived the initial shock I thought he would be fine. Then he just died. I feel horribly guilty. I think I should have payed more attention. Made sure he was drinking water and kept him warm and with me. I didn’t think something like that could kill him 48 hours later. What could I have done differently? I’ve never had such a sweet little rabbit and my daughter and I miss him so much.

Sorry for your loss.

In a stress situation rabbits can demand much more than 100% from their heart, which leaves permanent damage, and they die sooner or later. Nothing that can be done about it. I think it's an evolutinary trait, it is a plus for the species if a predator doesn't get one, regardless of the cost.

I lost my previous buck that way after a fox attack.

Thank you for telling me. I was feeling so guilty. I never thought I would get so attached to him. I still wish I had paid more attention and spent more time with him but it sounds like that may not have saved him anyways. It does seem like a mercy of nature for when they are caught by a predictor. Thanks again.

My little bunny just died and I’m devastated. He was young and very sweet and affectionate with us. A cat got in the yard one evening and had him cornered. My dog had been in the house briefly but chased the cat off. Usually he is always out when the rabbits are to keep them safe. They are used to him. The baby bunny (he was about 5 months old) was unharmed and I picked him up and held him awhile. He likes to be held. His heart rate was fast but breathing seemed ok. I brought him in the house and he hopped on his own to his cage. He was less energetic for the next two days and didn’t eat much. Since he survived the initial shock I thought he would be fine. Then he just died. I feel horribly guilty. I think I should have payed more attention. Made sure he was drinking water and kept him warm and with me. I didn’t think something like that could kill him 48 hours later. What could I have done differently? I’ve never had such a sweet little rabbit and my daughter and I miss him so much.
So sorry about your bunny.

I just adopted a baby flop and hes way different than my last bunny he was all calm and relaxed nothing got to him we had construction in and out of the house etc my new baby ive had him for about a week hyper nervous etc i dont remember charlie even going thru this is it the type of rabbit age?or this apartment it stresses me out or the way it wasraised before it came to me other one came from an old man this one younger lady or is it this old cat asking about types of rabbits

I just adopted a baby flop and hes way different than my last bunny he was all calm and relaxed nothing got to him we had construction in and out of the house etc my new baby ive had him for about a week hyper nervous etc i dont remember charlie even going thru this is it the type of rabbit age?or this apartment it stresses me out or the way it wasraised before it came to me other one came from an old man this one younger lady or is it this old cat asking about types of rabbits

How old is this new rabbit? Hormones could be one cause. It could also be just a totally different personality. Rabbits can vary so incredibly much when it comes to their temperament. It has little to do with how it was raised. Some are just naturally hyper or skittish or curious or laid back.

It may just be me, but it seems that bunny owners often had (or have) one "ideal" bunny and then look for one just like that one again. But each one is always different. But that memory and allure of the "ideal' one keeps us coming back for more. o_O

Latest posts

Back