Young bun is recouping from CIS, eats and poop, but does not drink or pee

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leFlan

Reaction score
He spent two nights at the hospital where they gave him some mess to get his vowels going, and fed him. They also gave him an IV. They released him to us this afternoon, about ten hours ago, with instructions of feeding him critical care if needed, as well as giving him meds three times a day.

Since then, he's started eating hay and pooping, but hasn't been drinking or peeing. I might have found some colorless wet spot in his peeing spot, but not sure. His poop is healthy, a bit moist to the touch when fresh, but nothing out of the ordinary. He seems happy, not quite his normal self yet, but making quick progress. He's active and eats on his own initiative.

I've given him some lettuce leaves, small but juicy, which he happily ate. I gave him some plain water from a syringe, but he was pretty skeptic. His normal water supply is in a bowl, which he doesn't touch.

Should I be worried?

If he was just given IV fluids today before being released to you, he may have still been well hydrated from that, so that could affect water consumption. Also if he's had any critical care recently, as that is already mixed with water, that will also hydrate and reduce water consumption. As long as he continues eating, he's going to want to drink at some point. I would just keep a close eye on him and if he doesn't start drinking, and especially if he starts to have a reduced appetite, I would give some critical care and water, and contact the vet to see what they think. If he's also not urinating even with fluids, that could indicate a bladder issue which the vet would need to diagnose and treat.

Might also help to refresh the water in his water bowl if you haven't already.

Is he doing better? If he is still not drinking, I would continue to give him greens, preferably really wet to make sure he ingests water (it will help his guts too, considering that hydratation helps the waste to 'slide' OK toward the exit ^^). I wouldn't worry too much for now - most rabbits don't drink a lot even when they are in good health and he had an IV yesterday. Not peeing would be more concerning if it lasts. If he is still not peeing 24h after being released I would give a call to the vet. In any case, I don't know how much experience you have with nursing rabbits but be very careful while giving him water with a syringe and use a very small one (1ml preferably) to avoid any risk of drowning him. I hope he recovers soon!

Latest posts

Back