Introducing a male to a bonded pair (male & female)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LucyElizabeth

Reaction score
Hi all

This is my first post and I am looking for some help / advice.

I have a happy bonded pair (male & female) of bunnies that have a lovely life in our garden. They go in at night.

Our neighbour has a male rabbit which is living alone in a smallish cage having lost it's partner around a year ago.

On seeing this I offered to take him and he's being handed over tomorrow.

I can set up a run in my house (neutral territory) and hope that the intro goes well but I am a little nervy to say the least. I want to offer this bunny a new and happy life but I am aware it may be difficult to bond the three.

Does anybody have any experience or advice they could offer? I would be most grateful for any help!

Lucy x

I don't have experience and I hope someone can answer better than me but I always thought bonding was a slow process while slowly incrementally increasing their space between each other. Not giving them open space right away.

Introducing a 3rd rabbit to an existing bonded pair is a risky thing to do. There is always the very real risk that the bond of the original pair may break.

For those more rare groupings that do work out, it usually one male to two females. Having two males and one female will be even more difficult since the males will compete for the female.

The following site is all about bonding. If you scroll way down to near the bottom, the issue of bonding trios and groups is addressed. It should be helpful.
http://www.cottontails-rescue.org.uk/information/bonding-bunnies/

Latest posts

Back