New Rabbit Owner

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Churro

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I just recently rescued a rabbit from the fair. I never owned a rabbit before but I have a lot of experience with rodents (I owned 4 rats). My rabbit's name is Churro and he is a Mini Lop. He is 3 month old.

Churro has been sneezing A LOT lately. Also he has white discharge around his eyes. I know that discharge isn't normal. His eyes (lacrimal folds, I think that's what they are called) are getting red. It could probably be an respiratory infection? Or pneumonia? I somewhat experienced this before with my rats. I gave them Amoxicillin and it cured them. But I heard rabbits cannot take Amoxicillin, it's deadly for them? What medicine can I give him? Would the Vetrx Rabbit Veterinary Aid help him?

Last edited:
Discharge that is anything other than clear is indicative of an infection. He must go to a vet to get the right antibiotic. You are correct that rabbits should not take amoxicillin (it is a penicillin derivative). Penicillin given orally can kill rabbits. They have a very delicate bacterial balance.

The sneezing along with that discharge means that he needs to be treated as soon as possible. The longer you wait, the harder it is to treat. Snuffles can become chronic. If left untreated, it can spread to other organs.

Latest posts

Back