New rabbit litter questions

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

southernw

Reaction score
Hello all,

A few questions for you all.. So this is my first time dealing with a litter; my indoor holland lop had two babies yesterday. Unfortunately one is a pink colored runt (peanut?) and the other is a bit bigger and darker colored. She pulled fur and began making her nest about a week ago, so I knew it was coming (this is an oops litter). However, her nest was behind a door on the cold tile, so when she had them I moved the babies and her fur/hay into a more appropriate nest box.

They both feel warm today, but I am unsure if she has fed them. I read that they will usually feed them early morning or late at night, and to check their tummies to see if they look full, but they really don't in my opinion.. Is there anything that I can do to make sure she is feeding them? I've read about some people syringe feeding them; is that an option? Or should I just stay out of the way and let her handle it? I suppose I'm just trying to do everything I can to make sure the babies have a chance.

Thanks,
Southern

Sorry in advance everyone, I'm sure this topic has been beat to death here, but just an update...
Mom finally fed but I'm pretty sure only the normal size kit was able to get any milk. I don't know if the little one just doesn't have the strength? I was reading that peanuts hardly ever make it, but I'm going to do every thing I can to make sure the poor little fella has a shot.. I found a recipe for milk replacement: baby kitten formula, goat milk, and heavy cream. I have some sterile feeding syringes, so I did my best to try to feed him but he wouldn't take to it, and I didn't want him to aspirate :( he just seems very weak and dehydrated. Is there anything else I can do?

I also read that a lot of people will pin the momma down on her side and try to get the kits to feed that way, but their momma would not allow that. She's quite loving, loves to be pet and sit on my lap, but on her terms. She can have quite the 'tude. If I try to grab her/pick her up, she's not happy (like most bunnies, I suppose). Anyways, just rambling here at this point. If anyone can offer some advice/tips, that'd be great.

Southern

A picture of the two would help, but if it's a peanut then it won't survive. Hand feeding often doesn't go well because it's so easy for them to aspirated the liquid. It's best to let nature take its course. If you want to try and turn the mom on her back and see if it will nurse you can, but much past 36 hours after birth without feeding and they're too weak to nurse.

Latest posts

Back