2016 Cages You've Made

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
❤ Dunkin & Mocha's 2016 Abode ❤

30255511356_821c531ac1_z.jpg

This is Truffles's new cage. It has a second level that is solid, and a drop pan underneath. I might add dark plexiglass to the shaded corner so that she can have a hiding place if she needs it, though she only does that when she is mad at me.

View attachment 1476577115569.jpg

This is Truffles's new cage. It has a second level that is solid, and a drop pan underneath. I might add dark plexiglass to the shaded corner so that she can have a hiding place if she needs it, though she only does that when she is mad at me.
does she have more places to get off of the grid-like floor besides just that level? she could possibly get sore hocks, its best to lay out fleece and litter train her

does she have more places to get off of the grid-like floor besides just that level? she could possibly get sore hocks, its best to lay out fleece and litter train her

All my rabbits have been on wire and I have never had a problem. But yes I let her out of her cage so she is not always on it.

All my rabbits have been on wire and I have never had a problem. But yes I let her out of her cage so she is not always on it.

I'd have to agree with blackminirex now that I see your whole cage. With a cage that small, just letting her out for "a bit" on "most days'" isn't ideal. I'm copying here a photo of the cage blackminirex has because her cage is about the same size as yours -- however, she has an area around the cage (seen in photo) that bunny has 24/7 access to.

With an exercise pen, you could provide that extra space 24/7. :construction

As for litter training, just putting a box in her cage that has litter topped with hay would probably be all you need to get her trained. :)

cage area of mini rex.jpg

I'd have to agree with blackminirex now that I see your whole cage. With a cage that small, just letting her out for "a bit" on "most days'" isn't ideal. I'm copying here a photo of the cage blackminirex has because her cage is about the same size as yours -- however, she has an area around the cage (seen in photo) that bunny has 24/7 access to.

With an exercise pen, you could provide that extra space 24/7. :construction

As for litter training, just putting a box in her cage that has litter topped with hay would probably be all you need to get her trained. :)

I know how to litter train thank you very much.
Having her have access to an exercise pen 24/7 is just not going to happen now. We have cats and a dog in the house too. Her cage is plenty big for her. Giving her more than enough room to lay down and run around.
I know you all have your ways of doing things, but I hope that you can understand that there are other ways to raise rabbits. :)

Having her have access to an exercise pen 24/7 is just not going to happen now. We have cats and a dog in the house too. Her cage is plenty big for her. Giving her more than enough room to lay down and run around.
I know you all have your ways of doing things, but I hope that you can understand that there are other ways to raise rabbits. :)

There is always time to learn new and better ways to care for rabbits. This forum is intended to share ideas and offer advice to better the lives of our rabbits.

Please understand that our observations are made in the spirit of being helpful.

The House Rabbit Society is considered the standard for the care of pet rabbits. They would agree that your cage is not "plenty big." They state: "One guideline to go by is at least 8 square feet of enclosure space combined with at least at least 24 square feet of exercise space, for 1-2 rabbits, in which the rabbit(s) can run and play at least 5 hours per day."

I was an adult when I got my first rabbit. That was over 25 years ago. At that time I had what I thought was a huge cage. I was mistaken. Since then, the rabbit world has seen a large increase in knowledge about rabbit care. I am still learning about the care of rabbits even after all these years. This forum has been instrumental to that end.

Hopefully we can all share and learn for the sake of our bunnies.

My cage changed a bit since the last pic.
(There is supposed to be towels in there for my Rex's comfort, but he peed on them this morning, so their in the washer machine)
He has a stuffed animal (the plastic eyes and nose was cut off)
His litter tray is just a plastic bucket that used to hold kid's toys.
And he has a box with a cushion on top, he loves to sit/sleep there.
On the top of his cage is just some storage (treats, toys etc)

IMG_20161021_081315.jpg

IMG_20161021_081407.jpg

IMG_20161021_081416.jpg

You do understand cats and dogs CAN get along with rabbits? my cat and dog mainly just ignore my Bunny lol, they never fight (the rabbit is the one who actually chases the cat)

This was the setup for my first rabbit (ever), Fermi. The goal was free-range with the ability to confine him to the xpen if needed -- he was a rescue, so I didn't know what to expect.

It turned out that Fermi had perfect habits and was free-range 24/7 within 2 weeks, so I just left the door to his yard (xpen) open all the time.

DSCF0412.jpg

DSCF0415.jpg

One month later, I got Fermi a friend (his best friend from the shelter), Bose. I anticipated little bonding would be required given their prior relationship, so I gave Bose a next-door setup to Fermi. Unfortunately, I didn't have room to give her a full xpen, but it's still over 13 square feet.

DSCF0433.jpg

She's turning out to be much more mischievous and destructive than him, so I can't keep her (and by proxy, him) free range 24/7 like Fermi was before... but they still have their own bedroom, and we're all working together on being less chewy to the house :)

This was the setup for my first rabbit (ever), Fermi. The goal was free-range with the ability to confine him to the xpen if needed -- he was a rescue, so I didn't know what to expect.

It turned out that Fermi had perfect habits and was free-range 24/7 within 2 weeks, so I just left the door to his yard (xpen) open all the time.

View attachment 18095

View attachment 18096

One month later, I got Fermi a friend (his best friend from the shelter), Bose. I anticipated little bonding would be required given their prior relationship, so I gave Bose a next-door setup to Fermi. Unfortunately, I didn't have room to give her a full xpen, but it's still over 13 square feet.

View attachment 18097

She's turning out to be much more mischievous and destructive than him, so I can't keep her (and by proxy, him) free range 24/7 like Fermi was before... but they still have their own bedroom, and we're all working together on being less chewy to the house :)

That looks great! Is it metal or plastic? And if you don't mind me asking where did you get it?

Hi, new here! I'm Beth and I adopted Pipkin in August of this year. My wonderful hubby built this huge cage for him and Pip loves it. We're planning a 2nd story for it with a ramp soon. :runningrabbit:

IMAG0812.jpg

IMAG0814.jpg

IMAG0842.jpg

IMG_20160821_123730.jpg

Apologies for coming late to this. The Rabbit Welfare Association and Fund (RWAF) here in the UK www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk recommends that a pair of average size rabbits sharing (eg Dutch) should have a minimum of 10ft x 6ft x 2ft (high). This should be accessible 24/7 and is the same for indoors as for outdoors, where of course there must be adequate protection against both extremes of weather and predators. It takes an average size rabbit 2ft to do one hop and they would be able to stretch that distance too either lying down or standing on tiptoe, which is completely natural for them when they forage from overhanging branches of brambles etc. Without this much space they risk not getting enough exercise to keep bones strong and healthy, they risk painful spinal deformities and they risk becoming grumpy and unhappy. We only recommend this space for pairs - we do not have a recommendation for space for single rabbits because we do not believe it is fair to keep them alone. They are highly social creatures and research has shown (Seaman et al, 2008) that they value the company of their own species as much as they value food. And none of us would dream of withholding food from them

We have Pinterest boards showing some examples of indoor and outdoor homes that you may find interesting as well as other boards on environmental enrichment, etc You can see them all here https://uk.pinterest.com/rwaf/?etslf=3734&eq=rwaf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back