scent gland cleaning??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pOker

Reaction score
so- i was looking at Vegas when i noticed that his whole chin is covered in like a dry yellow colored "substance".i dont even know what. i smelled it quickly to see if maybe he was laying in pee or something-but it did not smell at all like urine, it really didnt have a smell. i was thinking maybe he got dirty when he was laying in his litter box or something-but im just not sure.. i heard that sometimes the scent glands under the rabbits' chins could sometimes get blocked..maybe this is what happened-for now i am going to brush it out and loosen up the fur there-and see what happens..but if anyone has any ideas-please tell me.

holland lop male-around 20-22 weeks old.
lives indoors.
hasnt been fed anything unusual or different.
feed- pellets, 1 large carrot a week with a small amount of parsley.
has been using the litter box like normal::

everything is the same besides the issue under the chin..

I don't know what it could be:?; if it happens again can you take a photo and post it.
I don't think that it is related to scent glands

Where did you get that info ..?

Some males have a tendency to exude more fluid from their chin scent glands than other rabbits. Just keep an eye out for inflammation or dermatitis due to damp skin.

Pam

angieluv wrote:
Thanks Pam :)I never heard of or saw that problembefore ..
I see it occasionally on bucks. The discharge is generally not excessive, and may only cause a little matting under the chin. In some cases, the glands can become infected.

I have seen a little bit of matting under Tony's chin, but never enough to cause issues. I think that like any gland, if the waxy stuff is produced in great quantities and sticks around, blocking off an area of the skin from the air, it could get infected.

Latest posts

Back