Male bun will not leave my boyfriend alone?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swarning1222

Reaction score
He's almost a year old, not neutered yet, and he is OBSESSED with my boyfriend, which is causing problems because my boyfriend doesn't like him (I know! And he doesn't even know that I like my bun more than him haha 😂), I think my boyfriend is actually more afraid of him than anything (again, I know lol). He follows him all over the house. When we try to relax at night, If my boyfriend sitting on the couch he is constantly jumping up on the couch and sniffing him, poking him, standing up on him. And if my boyfriend lays down on the couch my bun will sneak attack him and jump on his chest, which is when my boyfriend really gets upset, and he will jump like a crazy person then my rabbit will jump off him terrified, or he will yell at him and which stresses him out and causes more naughty behavior. But he will always come back and jump on him again. I keep trying to tell him he needs to be calm with him, if he just calmly puts his hand toward him my bun will walk away but my boyfriend gets too freaked out. Also he loves licking his toes lol. Idk what is causing this. And I noticed within the last week if my boyfriend gets off the couch he will jump and up and leave one little poo where he was sitting (which is something he never does anymore). I don't think it's a territorial thing since he's not on the couch a whole lot and my boyfriend lives here and has been around since I got him. Idk if it could possibly be like a hormonal thing. I'm wondering if it's just a really nosey thing, he's never really got to know him or gotten any attention from him. I can't figure out if he really likes him or absolutely hates him. He pokes him a lot which I thought was always a good thing, and the licking. It's not like he's a bad rabbit, he rarely chews stuff he's not supposed to and doesn't have accidents in the house, this is the only reason he gives my boyfriend to dislike him and I want us all to live in peace again! Any ideas?

Lol. I have an appointment to get him neutered, but my boyfriend is driving me insane in the mean time. I'm not going to lock him in his cage all day that's not fair to him. Idk if the neutering is going to fix this though since idk what's making him act this way.

To be honest with you if my husband ever yelled at our rabbits or freaked out when they came near him I would consider that grounds for divorce. Or encourage him to seek therapy, because although I know people have their phobias, an extreme reaction to a small furry vegetarian that is not even attacking you, is worrying. :(

sounds like you need to put the dude ( bf ) in the cage and like the bun ( aka bunny/ rabbit ) have free roam of the place, within reason of course =0)

that bun isn't like anything like the one on monty python - the holy grail ( I can understand at why he would be reacting the way he is then ) [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgj3nZWtOfA[/ame]

each and every time he does that, he is stressing the little individual out ( which is very uncool ) and is not good for the health of them .... and again IMO

Haha I would love for him to be the one in the cage!! I don't mean he's YELLING at him, when my rabbit jumps on him, my boyfriend jumps a little bit cuz the rabbit catches him off guard, and by yelling I don't mean raising his voice, he tries to correct him, he talks to him like he's a dog or something and tries to shoo him (and by that I mean he literally tells him shoo lol) and tell him to get down. But yes it does stress the little guy out!! I'm working on teaching my boyfriend how to deal with him the right way. But I'm hoping someone else has experienced this type of behavior (with the rabbit) and can help me figure out what's causing the rabbit to do this then maybe I can find a middle ground here. Let's be honest, nobody wants to be relaxing laying on the couch and have a little rabbit dive bomb you onto your chest and in your face, cuz he has done it to me before and it scared the **** out of me lol.

It's not like an extreme reaction, I mean to me yes, cuz I love my rabbit so much and love when he comes near me, but it's not as crazy as it sounds, I'm just trying to get point across here hoping that someone knows what I'm talking about and has an idea of how we can all live peacefully again!

You may not think neutering will help but hormones can have all sorts of unexpected reactions - even with same or opposite sexed animals/people. Hormones do not always adhere to the species boundary. For example, we once had a Himalayan cat that would go and find my father's clothing in the hamper because there were male scents on it - this was before she was spayed because way back then, desexing your pets wasn't a common concept. When she got spayed, she no longer exhibited this behavior. So it could be that your little bun is establishing his territory, especially since he's leaving droppings where your boyfriend has been sitting (Sitting = leaving copious amount of scent, so your bun is trying to place his scent over your bf's). So even though your bun is a bun and your boyfriend is human, to your bun, he is still male and while he's always been around, hormones can change a lot of things about rabbit behavior. There's some that go from sweetiepies to the Monty Python rabbit when the hormones kick in.

I think you'll see a marked decrease in this behavior once your bun is fixed and the hormones have settled down. :) It takes about a month or so for it to even out so don't get discouraged if he hasn't changed same day as the surgery!

Thank you!!! That's exactly how it seems, it's like he's challenging my boyfriend telling him that he's the man of the house lol, I guess I'm just in denial thinking this couldn't be what my sweet little bunny is doing! He's like a little bully! But I have seen what "rabbit puberty" can do to a sweet little rabbit so I guess it's not too far off. And he has no interest in my male cat other than to play and cuddle but then again the cat is neutered. So hopefully this will stop when he gets fixed.

Let's be honest, nobody wants to be relaxing laying on the couch and have a little rabbit dive bomb you onto your chest and in your face, cuz he has done it to me before and it scared the **** out of me lol.

I love it when mine do that! But I'm kinda crazy like that. Steve has a knack for knowing when we are napping and that's when he dive bombs. It's hilarious. Cali jumps up onto the armrest and then nips my clothes like I'm in her way. Since it's the only time she comes near I let her get away with it. I am too lenient.

Latest posts

Back