Nesting box

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CMiska

Reaction score
My doe turbo uses the nesting box as a littlerbox. I am worried that it will harm the babies.They are a bit over 1 week now and still have a week or so init. Is there something I can put in there to help rid her ofthis habit???

If herarea for nesting is largeenough try some of these suggestions foranother poster , It could very wellbe she wants or needs a litterbox .

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=10387&forum_id=1

I have someDoes who willuse the nest box as a potty too,I constanly changeit for no matter what I havetried they dont get themessagetheres babies in there , mine who do this usuallypee in it too , making the babies all nasty . Ihave had to take nest boxes away fromthose mothers and build thebabies a nest from scratch .

she uses it for both. When it isnt inthere she uses her corner of the cage but when it is there she pees andpoops in it, I cant stand the smell so I can only imagine.

I will have to keep cleaning it out. I would build the babiesa nest but I have the wire bottom and worry about their little feet andlegs getting caught and broke

Just as a suggestion, put the nestbox in a different place. See if she stops her bad habit.

If a doe insists on using her nestbox as a litter box, I take thenestbox away during the day, returning it to hereach nightand each morning for her to feed them... as soon as she isdone feeding, I take the nestbox out. Whe the babies are 3weeks old, I put them back in the cage with no nestbox, and leavethem. Urinating in the nestbox can cause the babies to havesevere eye infections and skin problems. And the ammoniafumes can cause lung infesctions. It's real important to keepthe nestbox clean and dry.

what do I do with the babies when I take thenesting box out. I hve moved the box and she moves itback. Should I make just a little box for them for during theday since I still have 2 weeks till they are 3 weeks old.Thanks for all your suggestions

I take the nestbox (with the babies in it) outand put it someplace warm and cozy and safe. I havea large plastic tub in my laundry room that I put the whole nestboxinto (incase someone tumbles out, they don't crawl away).It's warm in there.

Mother rabbits don't sit on their litters the way birds or otheranimals do. They feed twicea day, for maybe 5-7minutes... they have no interaction with the babies inbetween. And I've never had a mother refuse to nurse theirlitter when presented with the nestbox. THey hop right in...

At 21 days of age, (3 weeks old), I take the nestbox away. Ifind the babies tend to stay healthier, cause even if the momma isn'tpeeing in the nestbox, the babies might. And after 3 weeks ofage, it's a lot to ask the mom to clean up.

I only do this when there is a problem, like what you described...it's worked very well for me in the past....

Thanks for the advice I will certainly dothis. This has been a problem with all her litters and Ididnt know that I could take them away from her without her freakingout looking for them, I know when I open the box to check on them shewill jump in the box with them while I check. Thanks againfor the advice.

In the wild, the doe sneaks into the nest tonurse her babies, early in the morning. Then she leaves themalone ALL DAY... her body scent is an attractant topredators. So she goes away. Then she comes back atdusk to nurse them again, and does the same thing all night.It's in the best interest of the babies survival... Granted, in thewild, the babies leave the nest considerably earlier than domesticrabbits.

Being away from her babies won't upset her. She'll look forthem just because she's used to seeing the box, but not to feed or carefor them. And she will know what to do when the nestbox comesback.

Latest posts

Back