Lithotripsy & kidney failure

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

melmartin

Reaction score
Hi Everyone:

My 5 year-old bunny Jack is pretty sick right now, he's been diagnosedwith kidney stones and kidney failure. My vet wants me to take Jacksomeplace to discuss lithotripsy, and he wants Jack to get anultrasound to see how viable Jack's kidneys are -- he believes the oneis shot and wants to remove it, but wants to see if the other isviable.

When I asked what the sucess rate is for bunnies to have a kidneyremoved, he could not provide me with an answer. He also could notprovide me with an answer on the success rate for lithotripsy. Herecommended I take him to a very reknown small animal hospital in thearea, but it's very difficult to get an appointment in time and is veryexpensive (I was told to be prepared to pay over $2000) Before I embarkwith this other hospital, I am trying to see if anyone knows howsuccessful either lithotrispy or removing a kidney is with rabbits. Ihope someone out there can either direct me to a resource forinformation or tell me about their experience.

Thank you!

Hello and Welcome, melmartin,

Removing the kidney would be one very risky, painful, shock to one'ssystem, and long painful recovery for the rabbit. At 5 years old, howhealthy is the rabbit otherwise? Is the little one eating and drinking?

What were the symptoms that brought this on and how long were they inthe process? Wondering if it's chronic or acute. If the symptoms werloss of weight, slowly going downhill, it could be chronic in whichthere's little you could do. Kidney failure, in its early stages, don'talways show up in the blood work and by the time it does, sadly, it'soften too late. Did you have blood work done, which is how the vet hasit diagnosed as kidney failure?

If it's acute, it could be that the rabbit has a sudden change in itsblood work's values that can be caused by microtoxins in the food.Because there's still little known about how they process timothy hayand alfalfa pelleted food, sometimes in the processing of it or whereit came from or if in transit it went bad, it would show up in therabbit's values.

One friend of mine that had such a case with one of her rabbits had tohave a GI surgery done. If the values remain too high in the kidney, itcan lead to stomach ulcers. Same friend had given another one of herrabbits sucralfate, which is an ulcer medication as a preventativemeasure. It's a long-term drug as it takes a while for the medicationto build up the wall to protect the GI tract, she explained to me. Youmight mention it to your doctor and see what they say.

Between that and herbs and using a sub-q fluids and buying a new bag offeed, I'd rather do that than put the rabbit under for kidney removal.

That said, if you feel that it's right and you think the rabbit canhandle it, then follow your instincts. I would just ask myself whatwould the rabbit want - what would I want if it was me?

-Carolyn

Carolyn and Pam:
Thank you both for answering. Jack has been on a steadydecline for about 2.5-3 weeks. This began urinating outsidehis litterbox, then progressed to not using his hind legs asmuch. As a result of urine & blood work plus an xraythe vet’s conclusion is that he is in renal failure as a result ofexcessive kidney stones. Last week I was giving him painkillers, this week it’s sub-cu fluids and vitamin C. He is not eatingas much now and doesn’t even want to sit on my couch nestled behind myhead (which was one of his favorite things to do). He wentfrom 5 lbs. to 2.1 lbs.

I thought it might help to hear from someone whose rabbit went throughhaving a kidney removed and how things worked out. The agerange I see everywhere for bunnies is 5-12 years, so I don’t know ifthat means 5 is elderly or not. Jack was on a table at areptile show and was being sold as food, so I don’t think that he wasbred for a particularly long life. My guess is that he is a rex...I'lllook from some pictures to scan.

Based on how fragile bunnies are, is all this too much to put himthrough. I thought that maybe if I could hear about other'sexperience with the success of kidney surgery on bunnies, it might help.

Thank you again from the bottom of my heart!
Melanie
103_0381%20copy.jpg

Hi Melanie,

I'm so sorry about Jack. :sad: I agree with Pam that I wouldn't put a 5year old rabbit through that at this point. Knowing that you'd doanything you could for Jack, the surgery as I said would be very risky,it would be a shock to his system, and it would be a very long apainful recovery. Not sure that Jack could sustain that with how weakhe already is. Going from 5 lbs. to 2.1 is not good at all, as youknow. He's not starting out healthy.

Sometimes we just have to decide whether the little guy would want togo through that or if we'd rather he spend the rest of his life inquality and with love, making the most of every moment.

My heart, prayers and thoughts go out to you, Melanie. Give Jack my love and a kiss for me.

:pray:

If you've never read this poem before, it's quite powerful. I hope ithelps when the time comes when Jack has to make his final journey. Youhave given him a wonderful, loving, happy life. Although many willargue the point, 5 years old is getting up there for a rabbit.Pamnock's profession is in rabbits and she and many experts will saythe same. Of course you have others that will say that their rabbitshave lived until 17, but if you do your homework, as you have, you knowthat at 5 years old, they're getting on in their years.

http://www.indigo.org/rainbowbridge_ver2.html

Enjoy every moment you have with Jack.

-Carolyn

Even if it is chronic, you could still try thesucralfate to protect the GI tract, the sub-q fluids and the herbs. I'dstill do that before putting him through the surgery.

I'm so sorry. I wish I had more to give.

:purplepansy:

-Carolyn

Thank you for your support. In myheart I felt it's time to let him go, but was hesitant because of thevet not really discussing this with me. He is a new vet andperhaps a bit too enthusiastic. Thank you for helping methrough this and come to a decision on what's best for him. Ido feel that it would be a long rough road and there would be a slimchance it would be completely successful.

That website is wonderful. Thank you for sending me a link to it.

I wish I had known about this forum long ago so I could have shared some of the good times, not just this time.

Melanie

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear it.... what an awfuldecision to have to make.. :( It sounds as ifyouhave givenJack a wonderful life and comfortyourself knowing he knows how much he is loved.

Dear Melanie,

Trust your instincts. Spend as much time with Jack as you can.

The great thing about this group of people is that we do support each other through the good and bad.

We welcome you and will do our best to help comfort you and Jack in thedifficult days ahead. You're both in my thoughts and prayers.

:pray:

-Carolyn

im very sorry but you know whats best for yourbunny and i think you made the right choice.i have a 17 year old dogthat i know im going to have to make a decision on soon.Its painfullfor us but we dont want the animal to suffer.bluebird

I amso sorry to hear aboutJack. Please comfort yourself knowing he had a wonderful 5years (as opposed to his original fate!). You have done awonderful thing for him. Enjoy every moment with him, I'msure he knows how loved he is.

{{{{{{{ HUGS to you and him}}}}}}}}}}} :pray:

Latest posts

Back