Fees for Rabbit Spaying

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So while randomly searching Craigslist for "rabbit" stuff. I came across a post by The House Rabbit Society. They mentioned in the ad that you can get a low coast spay/neuter for your rabbits. I followed the link and it led to Morris Animal Refuge and their Low Cost Spay/Neuter program.
I called a few of the vets on the list and found one who has rabbits herself and does all the rabbit surgeries. It's $40 for the spay/neuter certificate through Morris Animal Refuge and a $10.00 co-pay for the vet. I can get BOTH BUNNIES fixed for $100.00!!!
I'm so relieved! I truly didn't think there were any programs around here for rabbits.
It's a same day procedure and I can schedule both bunnies for the same day. :)

www.morrisanimalrefuge.org is the website. If you are in the Greater Philadelphia Area, this is for you!

I also found cheap spay ($85) but I am concerned if it doesn't mean "not so great" service... lack of meds, etc.
What do you guys think?

So while randomly searching Craigslist for "rabbit" stuff. I came across a post by The House Rabbit Society. They mentioned in the ad that you can get a low coast spay/neuter for your rabbits. I followed the link and it led to Morris Animal Refuge and their Low Cost Spay/Neuter program.
I called a few of the vets on the list and found one who has rabbits herself and does all the rabbit surgeries. It's $40 for the spay/neuter certificate through Morris Animal Refuge and a $10.00 co-pay for the vet. I can get BOTH BUNNIES fixed for $100.00!!!
I'm so relieved! I truly didn't think there were any programs around here for rabbits.
It's a same day procedure and I can schedule both bunnies for the same day. :)

www.morrisanimalrefuge.org is the website. If you are in the Greater Philadelphia Area, this is for you!

Alright! So glad you found something. We went with the low cost option, and all is well. That's awesome you can get both done at the same time. :)

Surgery was Friday. So far, all is well. Their wounds are healing with no redness or swelling. Storm is already almost back to himself. Willow is starting to eat more consistently and is moving around more.

Good to know. The least expensive one I know of was in Arizona where some of our rescues came from. When we lived in CA, I had to drive 40 miles to a vet that was less than a third of the ones in town--$99 for a female and $45 for a male. The only one in town wanted $425 for a female and $375 for a male. Ours are all rescues and we couldn't afford to pay that much.

When we had a full scale rabbit rescue operation here the local vets gave us a deal at $50 per rabbit. When I took my 3 females to one of these vets it cost me $600! Always get he does spayed even if they will never see a male rabbit otherwise they can get ovarian cancer. One of the clinics that was working with us did not do a full spay on the does - the details of which I don't know - but we dropped her right away.
In the DFW area of Texas there are clinics called - if I recall TCAP - which do all rabbits for $50. Sorry I forgot the name but you can Google it. lLok for Texas Coalition .........!

Good to know. The least expensive one I know of was in Arizona where some of our rescues came from. When we lived in CA, I had to drive 40 miles to a vet that was less than a third of the ones in town--$99 for a female and $45 for a male. The only one in town wanted $425 for a female and $375 for a male. Ours are all rescues and we couldn't afford to pay that much.

Do you recall where in AZ you found that lower cost spay? I recently got two quotes here (one used regularly by a rescue) but the quotes were $250 and $325.

At five years of age, I was getting desperate to have Bunny neutered. Our then vet would not operate because Bunny was too fat. Internet search. Dr. Kaufman of the Harbor Animal Hospital in Torrance, Ca. Bunny weighed 9 pounds...fat for her size. Dr. Kaufman liposuctioned off 1 pound of fat from Bunny's stomach and neutered her. He charged something like $400.

Just think after this procedure, Bunny could have been a sexy Pin Up Girl in a Gentleman's Bunny magazine!!! She would have driven the boy bunnies crazy! Big hips, thin trim stomach, and a big DD dewlap!
Dewlap is a pronounced layer of fat on the throat of female rabbits. This fat layer insures they can breast feed their babies.

I'm looking at neutering my two Flimmish girls. Next week they will be 5 months old. Apparently this is old enough. They are big 5 month old babies. My wife wants them neutered as soon as possible. They are now house rabbits with excellent litter box manners...however...they will still produce a tablespoon of pee here and there for marking. This really bothers my wife. (We have mostly leather furniture and hardwood floors so it's not a big problem.) We had similar experience with our previous house rabbit until we had her neutered.

They live now uncaged in a large part of our house...living room, dining room, hall way to bedrooms, kitchen. Both rabbits want to enter our bedroom. My wife doesn't want them in the bedroom until they're neutered so they won't mark in the bedroom. Basically, they want to sleep with us when we go to bed at night.

Wowza, we must be really lucky here in N.E. Florida! We can buy a voucher from Gainesville Rabbit Rescue for a spay or neuter for $69! And this is for several extremely rabbit-savvy veterinarians! We do have to travel about an hour from where we live (St. augustine, Fl) but it is sooooo worth it.

Contact your local rabbit rescue or the nearest one and see if they have a program like that.

For anyone in our area, click on this link and check out the B.U.N.S. program:
http://www.gainesvillerabbitrescue.org/new/rabbit-care/b-u-n-s-program/

Last edited:
Wowza, we must be really lucky here in N.E. Florida! We can buy a voucher from Gainesville Rabbit Rescue for a spay or neuter for $69! And this is for several extremely rabbit-savvy veterinarians! We do have to travel about an hour from where we live (St. augustine, Fl) but it is sooooo worth it.

Contact your local rabbit rescue or the nearest one and see if they have a program like that.

For anyone in our area, click on this link and check out the B.U.N.S. program:
http://www.gainesvillerabbitrescue.org/new/rabbit-care/b-u-n-s-program/

What a great idea for this rescue to do! I wish other rescues would do the same.
It is really a shame that even with the push to spay and neuter rabbits, most people don't have a reasonably priced option.

I've seen spay prices in our area for $325. That's just crazy high, imo.:nono

At five years of age, I had Bunny spayed. My then vett refused because Bunny was too fat. Did an internet search, participated in forums, and discovered Dr. Kaufman of Harbor Animal Hospital in Torrance, Ca. He would neuter fat bunnies. He liposuctioned off 1 pound of fat from Bunny at then 9 pounds. He charged $400. He found tumors in Bunny's uterus so we got her just in time.

Latest posts

Back