Shocking News

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FalconRed

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I know that I'm not too active around here, I still come around and look for other stories and to see what I can learn, and a few of you helped a lot with some things I had questions about, and I want to say thank you for it!

Now to the news! I've had my little black, brown, and white dwarf rabbit, named Emery Nova, for about 3 weeks now. She started out very explosive in her personality, just so happy to run around, we'll that temperament just kind of slowly decreased. I figured she was just getting used to her new home and finding her comfort areas.

Tonight, I'm happy to say, she has her personality back, and it was for quite an experience for me to have with her. Earlier in the night, she started tugging at her fur, and it was something I was concerned about, so I started to do research online to see if it was something I needed to concern myself with. Now I know most of you know where I'm going with this... I started hearing slurping noises from under a blanket where she was hiding so I peaked under and she started squealing at me. I started to really freak out so I started calling animal clinics near me and they all kept asking me the same questions.

"Has she been in contact with other rabbits... is she pregnant... etc..." in my care, the answer to all was no...

While on the phone, she hopped out of the blankets and into her cage where she started eating a leaf of lettuce I had put in for her to try and calm her down, I came back over and knelt down to kind of look and see if she was still pulling at her fur, and noticed a ball of fur on the ground.... I though, surely that's not a hairball... rabbits don't do hair balls... looking closer, it's a baby, and it's moving around.

I know my knowledge on rabbits is limited, but I do know that rabbits, more often then not, will give birth to multiple babies, so I started peaking through the blanket where she was hiding, and found two more!

This was quite unexpected for me. I didn't realize that rabbits came into sexual maturity quite so fast, and especially didn't think she had any contact with any males when I got her. Here I am now though, with four dwarf rabbits! I'm both excited to share this experience with her, but now wondering what to do with them all once they get a bit older.

It's amazing to already see all of their personalities. One is a little ball of fire, so ready to explore. One is just a tired little thing, and the third... well maybe it's too early to tell, but... I'm honestly concerned about that one. We will see in the coming days and weeks, though! I'll try to keep you all updated! They are all comfortsble and at ease. They're not in direct sunlight, Emery can get to them with no problems, and they aren't in any immediate danger from anything in my apartment. I can't wait to see how they grow up!

Awwwe thats so awesome i got a female bunny 2 weeks ago and i suspect shes preggers.

Wow, surprise and congratulations I guess :D It's great to hear that she birthed well. Not all first time births go so well. And at least now you know the cause of her personality change. :)

Be sure the the gaps in your cage bars aren't big enough for the kits to squeeze out of or get their heads stuck in. If needed you can attach a strip of cardboard around the bottom to prevent them squeezing out.

In terms of the kit that isn't doing well, because she is a dwarf and was possibly bred with another dwarf, it's possible the poorly kit could be a peanut. Could just be a regular runt too, but peanuts occur when a kit gets two copies of the true dwarf gene. Their hind ends are poorly formed, and they tend to have big rounded heads with tiny ears and they don't survive past a few days. http://www.syracuse-rabbit.com/Peanut.a.jpg

Latest posts

Back