Mosquitos!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doggie0506

Reaction score
Now that summers coming in southern Ontario so have the bugs. Flurry lives outside in an old garden shed with a run attached to it. When we got Flurry it was the end of the summer so all the bugs were practicly gone. Does anyone with outdoor rabbits find mosqitoes/blackflies an issue? If so what should I do to keep them off Flurry? (she's pure white so I don't think they will be as attracted to her as if she was a dark colour)

I've had no experience with mosquitos since I live in Ireland but is there any chance you could get a mosquito net and put it around there living space?

I have a fly strike spray that I spray on the rabbits and their living space everyweek. It works for mosquitos too (says on back of bottle). It repels the flys COMPLETELY - I havent seen a fly near their hutch in ages lol! Maybe you could get something like a mosquito spray or something

Heres the one I use: https://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/Health+%2526+Hygiene.12/Johnsons+Fly+Strike+Protector.513.html
Its so cheap in the UK lol

I would get a mosquito net. Get enough that you can cover the whole run. A net would be safer than a spray or other chemical stuff.
You might be able to find a pet safe repellent, but I would not spray it directly on Flurry or near anything that can be chewed or eaten.

I don't have to deal the misquitos too much as the buns are inside. We don't get blackflies here either. I have been to Ontario (Muskoka area) in the summer, so I know it is bad.

The only bugs I've ever really seen on my out door bunnies were spiders and beetles, and flying things that got trapped in the plastic that shields them from rain. I have more fly problems with my indoor bunnies than outdoor ones, as far as I know.

I also suggest mosquito netting over the run, where she can't chew it up of course. I'm also planning on getting fly traps & mosquito repellent to hang around my cages for the summer. I wouldn't recommend sprays or such, only things that have no chance to find their way into little bunny mouths.

I heard that mint and catnip repell mosquitos. Make sure your hutch has good ventilation. A hutch fan will also help to keep your hutch dry inside and less attractive to bugs, and the flow of air will help keep the mosquitos off of your rabbit.

Ive also heard that certain plants keep the bugs away so I think I might try plant some (where she can't eat them) :)

Latest posts

Back