Foul smelling urine in 15 day old bunny. Help.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shanan

Reaction score
Hi. My bun, Joe is 15 day old. So last day, I noticed a gel like round something sticking down there just after he peed. Also, his pee smelled REALLY BAD. REALLY FOUL. He pees a normal pale yellow. He has also started nibbling on pellets. I think he is the jolliest baby bun I ever came across. But that urine thing is confusing me. Afterall, he is almost a newborn. His mum is absolutely fine and peeing normal. Any advice/facts please? :(

This is Joe. :)

IMG_20170422_084055744.jpg

Last edited:
Are you sure the gel is related to his urine? Gel like substance from youngsters is typically from digestive issues as they're weaning. How is his poop?

I have no idea about what it is related to. Some people are saying it's related to urine and some are saying it is related to poop.
Joe pooped and peed 12 hours ago last. The last poop was perfect but the urine smelt awful yet again. Since then, no pee or poop even after two feeds. He has an appetite of three buns. He's binkying. And he is sleeping soundly. Nothing seems wrong except that smell. :(

The only thing that I can imagine would cause the urine to smell so bad is a bladder infection, but that would be so unusual to happen in such a young baby, though not impossible. I would be reluctant to treat such a young rabbit for it with antibiotics though, unless I was absolutely certain that it was in fact a bladder infection, as antibiotics could potentially cause serious digestive upset in such a young rabbit.
http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/Cystitis_Ele.htm

Try and get the baby to pee on a white piece of fabric or paper, and see if there might be any spots or threads of blood in the urine. Though the best thing would be if you can take a clean sample of urine to the vet to get tested or use a test strip to see if it shows positive for blood. If the baby is dribbling urine constantly instead of peeing all at once, this can also be an indication of a bladder infection.

He's awfully cute! I hope it's nothing serious and you can get the bad smelling urine sorted out.

The only thing that I can imagine would cause the urine to smell so bad is a bladder infection, but that would be so unusual to happen in such a young baby, though not impossible. I would be reluctant to treat such a young rabbit for it with antibiotics though, unless I was absolutely certain that it was in fact a bladder infection, as antibiotics could potentially cause serious digestive upset in such a young rabbit.
http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/Cystitis_Ele.htm

Try and get the baby to pee on a white piece of fabric or paper, and see if there might be any spots or threads of blood in the urine. Though the best thing would be if you can take a clean sample of urine to the vet to get tested or use a test strip to see if it shows positive for blood. If the baby is dribbling urine constantly instead of peeing all at once, this can also be an indication of a bladder infection.

He's awfully cute! I hope it's nothing serious and you can get the bad smelling urine sorted out.

I inspected his pee and it's clear liquid. His pee smelled a bit less today. One thing though, he hasn't been pooping that much. Haven't seen him poop since 15 hours. I dunno whether his mom groomed him while feeding. He used to poop normally before this smell started coming out.

I feed my bigger buns Zupreem pellets and the urine smell is exactly like Zupreem pellets gone bad. But I have removed all pellets from Joe, I dunno why it's still smelling. I am so confused. He is also gaining weight and binkying all the time.

So it sounds like it was the pellets then causing the stinky urine? I'm glad you were able to figure it out. Rabbits can have such confusing problems at times.

You may want to wait a week or two before letting him eat pellets again. I would start slowly with them and push hay to him at the same time. It may be his system wasn't quite mature enough to handle them yet.

So it sounds like it was the pellets then causing the stinky urine? I'm glad you were able to figure it out. Rabbits can have such confusing problems at times.

Yes he has been nibbling on pellets from his mom's dish when I wasn't looking. Such an intelligent baby. :p
They are really confusing. I was like the boundary is 12 hours-24 hours and Joe has crossed 48 hours without poop how is it possible is there something called invisible poop. But I think he pooped and it's tiny so didn't catch. He is doing good now. :D

You may want to wait a week or two before letting him eat pellets again. I would start slowly with them and push hay to him at the same time. It may be his system wasn't quite mature enough to handle them yet.

Yes I have removed everything now. And a new rule: He stays with me other than the feeding time. I also gave him a simethicone med in case he is still uncomfortable. He is fine now it seems. :)

Latest posts

Back