Strange growths on new bunny :(

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Trying to figure out what they are, meanwhile looking for a vet. He already had them when we got him a week ago. It looks like his own skin but it protrudes. He's got this on both sides of his body, like where his shoulders are. I also may have seen one below his neck. He just seldom lifts his neck up so it's hard to see. It just looks like there a hairless protruding spot the size of a dime maybe. But he's a small bunny so it looks big in his neck. Here's a picture of the shoulder protrusion. Will try to take more. Can't place attachment from phone, will try again from computer :(

Ah yes, and try to get a light or flash on what you want to show, I had to look twice to find the bunny ;)
Anyway, using Gimp did help a little, but not much.

Is he about 3-4 months and was living with his siblings? Could it be the aftermath of bite wounds? Although, these are unusual locations.

Thanks Preitler and JBun :) Will see if I can get more pics when the bun gets upfrom his nap. He does seem healthy as in eating, drinking and pooping well but these cysts are definitely weird. They don't seem to have holes that I can see, but then he is covered in lots of hair so it's difficult to say. It just seems like it could be a lipoma maybe. I did notice something sticking from his shoulder when he came home but though it was just a hairball, been inspecting it now though and it's not just hair. It's like a roundish lump of his own skin and maybe fat, or maybe bone, definitely a deformation of some kind. He was living with siblings it seems, at the pet shop. I'm not sure they could be injuries, but I'm pretty clueless :&

If it looks like a lump of fat or has a cottage cheese like texture, it could be pus. Rabbit pus is very thick. Which would mean you are dealing with abscesses and likely due to the bunny being kept with siblings at the pet store too long and fighting occurred resulting in bite wounds becoming infected. If so, the pet store should be made aware and should be responsible for treatment costs. Though depending on your states laws, you may need to get your bun seen right away, within a certain amount of time from the time of purchase, for the pet store to be responsible for vet costs.

Thanks JBun for the suggestion, I will find out if bunny is entitled to anything from the petshop, though I'm not holding my breath 'cause it's a smaller store. I think this is probably an abcess from the looks of it. There are at least 2 I think. Here are more pics. I guess he'll need those removed, poor bun :/

20170423_172011.jpg

20170423_172047.jpg

Found a doc for bunny. Will probably be taking him this week. He's been eating and growing but still has the abscesses.

Latest posts

Back