Eating their litter

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mickeyandluna

Reaction score
I just started to try and potty train Mickey & Luna again and had gotten some Kaytee white bedding to use instead of cat litter, but Mickey was eating it. I just went to go buy some So Phresh paper litter pellets and they're eating it. I put in some hay on top, but they eat for a bit then dig to find the pellets to eat. Does anyone know if this will hurt them or what kind of litter I could get that they wont eat? View attachment ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1492226099.753707.jpg

I use wood pellets and my rabbits don't eat them. Thank god you stopped using cat litter, that isn't safe for bunnies. I had a rabbit that ate the paper stuff too, not much you can do but give it away and switch to something else.

Yeah, I found some other kind at Petco that Im going to try tomorrow, I think. What wood litter do you use? If this one doesnt work Im gonna try the wood like you have.

My rabbits get paper litter in their boxes and they sometimes eat it. If it's not a lot, then it's totally fine (how many little human children eat paper in school and have no ill effects?- and rabbit guts are designed for plants!). Paper is not something from which they can derive nutrients, but so long as the rabbit is only eating a few here or there, it's really not a problem (a LOT of paper pellets at one time could cause blockages).

It is actually wood stove pellets from the hardware store. People on this forum turned me onto them. They have no additives or accelerants. I think it's a mix of pine and spruce. You're in the US, you guys have that tractor supply store? They apparently have horse stall pellets, same thing but some people feel safer using them as they are marketed for animals.

Latest posts

Back