2015 Cages You've Made

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Instead of a second floor, how about removing some of the clutter from his current pen so he has more room to run around? Does he really need 4 hidey houses?

I didn't exactly make this cage but I hope I can still post it here. I bought an old used Bunny Abode condo for $100 from someone whose rabbits were not litter trained. The wood and floors were all stained and caked in dry calcium. It was gross. I don't have any before pictures handy but believe me, it looked like something you'd haul straight to the dump. I scraped off all of the caked on mess, vacuumed all the little nooks and crannies, and disinfected the whole thing before airing it out outside for a couple of days. It was still stained really bad so out came the pet safe paint and vinyl floor tiles. I painted the wood first, a nice bright blue to match my room. I think it turned out really good. Luckily the wood itself was in good solid shape still, so I didn't have to do any replacing. After the paint dried I measured and cut some vinyl peel and stick floor tiles (I cut them with an x-acto knife). The hole for the ramp was extremely difficult to do but I think it came out pretty good. I let the glue dry overnight and here is the final result. Pretty good for under $150 total.

CJNIJWNWEAAVbTD.jpg

CJNIJWUWcAED5qz.jpg

CJNIJWhWgAAcoKj.jpg

CJNIJYPWcAAmgnO.jpg

I had thought about doing an NIC condo but then this popped up on ebay and I jumped on it. It was a lot easier than building a whole thing from scratch and it looks 100x better than an NIC condo in my opinion. The bunnies are loving it! It houses two lionheads, Bear and Jean-Luc :)

this is where my two 10 week old bunnies live. they have the cage area and then a separate area outside the cage that they have access to when we are with them. comments and suggestions appreciated in the housing/environment folder. thank you.

bunny cage 1.jpg

bunny cage2.jpg

bunny cage3.jpg

I scanned through all the three pages of this post. I saw all the cages and all the hutches. For about 11 years, my rabbit Bunny lived in our house. She never spent a moment in a cage or a hutch for these 11 years. She had perfect litter box manners. There were some chewing incidents in the beginning, and some pee marking incidents for the first 4 weeks she was turned loose in the house. well, Ok, Ok, some other incidents. We had a leather couch, maybe cost $1000 or more , and Bunny chewed a hole in it. We weren't upset, we just covered up the hole with a pillow!
About Bunny's litter box behaviors. She really loved to go outside in her latter years and me or my wife would always be with her...never to leave her alone outside. After a 1/2 hour or so outside, we'd bring her inside and the first thing she often did was run to her litter box...I think that she would not poop or pee outside the house...only in her litter box...what absolute litter box training!.

With free range bunnies, it's usually a good idea to have a "home base" cage or area. I think bunnies benefit from knowing they have an area that is theirs alone -- a sanctuary, if you will.

When my rabbits go into their cage, they know that they will never be disturbed in that cage. It is their privacy zone or safe zone. We won't even pet them when they are in their space. Even if it is just a small area, I believe it is beneficial for them to have an area all to themselves.

Here is a sample of a home-base area where the door is never closed.

@Flemishwhite: how cute that your bunny wouldn't even potty outside! One of our past rabbits enjoyed romps in the backyard. We would just shake the food box to get him scurrying back inside.

acrylic cage.jpg

Not quite finished but here is Jez's new 'crib'. The cubes actually integrate with the built-in bookshelf so he can lay on the lower shelves. I'm not sure what I want to do with the top. I thought I might like to be able to open it but now I think two two-cube french doors might be better.

MA

jezcage.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back