Swollen glans...not for youngsters

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buck Jones

Reaction score
Our Dutch buck's penis was enlarged and swollen, tothe point it looked like an angry red, inflamed wasabe pea attached tohis stomach. When I gently squeezed, milky brown, runny fluid dribbledout, which I assumed to be urine. During 15 minutes or so of this doingthis process, he would intermittenly shoot out some urine in a spray,to then revert to dribble and drabbles.

After a urine stream, the organ seemed shrink to a more reasonableproportion, but still not normal. It would then, apparently, swell upagain with the fluid. A little raw, red projection, like a pin headpimple seemed to protrude from where I would expect an urethea.

We squeezed for a while,put on some neo-sporin type salve and put himback in the hutch for observation, where, poor little guy, kind ofhunkered in a "loaf" position, but with his little hind end up in theair an inch or two.

The fluid was not vicous, like the pus I'm used to seeing in rabbits.It was almost like his bladder had backed up because he was unable tourinate through his swollen penis. Fluid smelled reminescent of urine,but not quite as pungent as it sometimes can be.

Any suggestions, thoughts, considerations, would be appreciated.Obviously, if things don't improve or I cannot come up with areasonable diagnosis/treatment regimen, we will take him to the vettomorrow. In the meantime, I'd appreciate anyone's help.

Buck

Hi Buck,

Can't offer you anything but prayers and thoughts. Maxie is such a sweet boy.

For those that don't know him, he's won prizes for his beauty, but it's his personality that is even more amazing.

Keep us posted.

-Carolyn

Hope you don't mind my posting what you hadsaid on the Rabbit Web board, Pam, so that others can learn along withus. After briefly talking with Buck last night, he thoughtyour diagnosis of a urinary tract infection was appropriate.Maxie was drinking and eating hay, so that was comforting, but poopinghas slowed down considerably. He'll be visiting the vettoday. His date of birth is July 1998, so he's getting upthere in age. He's won 2 legs and after getting some dimplesin his older years, he was removed from showing and BuckJones rescuedhim from being a meat rabbit. A very gentle and loving rabbitis Maxie. He's got a girlfriend Maizie, and Buck returnedMaizie to his cage last night so that they could be together throughoutthe evening.

-Carolyn

I'm assuming he's been at your place for a while and not used for breeding?

One guess is a bladder sludge, blockage issue? Is he older?
Could be urinary tract infection. Factors include high calcium diet,not drinking enough water, over weight, genetic pre-disposition,arthritis (preventing complete emptying of the bladder), kidneydisease.

Symptoms, dribbling, white & thick urine, straining.

Increase fluids as much as possible as get him to the vet ASAP.

He's drinking Pam, and we have a 3:20 appointmentat the vets. I have some Pen G on hand, the expiration dateof which is June 04, but it has not been maintained within therecommended temperature ranges, and may have endured highertemperatures in storage than is indicated on the bottle(between 36-46degreesF), nor do I have a clue regarding dosage for a 5lb 4oz buck.

Other symptoms are as desribed last night. He does seem to beholding his rear end up a bit higher today, poor little guy.

Buck :(

I would hold off on the Penn G and have a culturedone to be sure youuse the correct antibiotic. (I'msure you already know this -- but never give any penn productsorally).

Ibuprofen can help relieve the pain and is safe to use onrabbits.(Tiny piece.)Do *not* useAcetaminophen.

Keep pushing the liquids (pedialyte may encourage him to drink more).

Good luck at the vets!

Maxie's gone.? We put him down at 1:05? PM thisafternoon, after Helen found him lying in the litter box, breathingheavy and hemorrhaging from the mouth.? I did not have the heart towatch him struggling.? It was one of the more difficult things I havehad to do in my lifetime and causes me immense sadness.

He never made his veterinarian's scheduled appointment for thisafternoon.? The vet seemed to think the hemorrhaging was indicative ofsome sort of problem with his lungs, and not related to his penis.?Suspected abscess problem we were misdiagnosing as a penile problem.?Couldn't tell us much more over the phone without an autopsy.

Maxie's at rest with the rest of the gang, out in the back yard.? We'll see him again, at the Bridge someday.

Thank you all for all your concern and advice.

Buck? :(

I am so sorry to hear about your loss. :(:(Its never easyloosing one of our pals!! It was one very lucky boy to have a good homewith you!

I had logged on to see if you'd gotten back from the vet, and saw the news.

What a sad day Buck -- I'm so very sorry : (

Pam

"In one of the stars, I shall be living. In one of them, I shall belaughing. And so it will be as if all the stars were laughing when youlook at the sky at night...You-and only you (and Helen and Mitzie)-willhave stars that can laugh!"

And he laughed again.

"And when your sorrow is comforted (time soothes all sorrows) you willbe content that you have known me. You will always be my friend. Youwill want to laugh with me. And you will sometimes open your window,so, for that pleasure...and your friends will be properly astonished tosee you laughing as you look up to the sky! Then you will say to them,"Yes, the stars always make me laugh!" And they will think you arecrazy. It will be a very shabby trick that I shall have played onyou..."

~The Little Prince
(and Maxie)

My heart, love, prayers, and thoughts are with you, Helen, and Mitzie on this Holy Thursday.

-Carolyn

In view of what has transpired I thought some ofyoumight be interested in reading aboutanexperience that occurred earlier thisevening.While driving to adinner engagement, I was relating to my wife, Helen, how Ihad written ona rabbitforum about Maxie having somany fans wherever we took him in his carrier; and that in their memoryof him, he would remain forever young, and thus be a fittingtestimonial and memorial to him.

I no sooner had finished making my comment, when Helen looked to thewest to admire the beautiful setting sun over Barnegat Bayhere in NJ, to see the rear of a large, moored sailing vesselwitha name emblazoned across the stern. The nameread.......TO the MAX.

We WILL accept that as a sign from Maxie that he has made it across theRainbow Bridge and is waiting for us there! We are firm believers thatthere are no such coincidences in life.

Buck :)

I was thinking about you guys yesterday, and hoping you were doing well.

What an amazing sign from Max -- thanks for sharing :)

Pam

As I said to you before, Buck, it's smooth sailing for Max now. :)

There are no coincidences. Everything happens for a reason. If you're open to signs, you'll get them.

-Carolyn

Carolyn, read thepoem you put up for Buck right after Maxie died....When I read it Icouldn't breathe. Life has a way of making full circles. Youprobably didn't even remember posting that. Yet SLG has referred toBuck as a star all along........;)

Raspberry

:shock2:Wow...that reallyis wild, Raspberry!

That brings me great comfort. I definitely don't remember posting it.

Pretty Cool. Seems like Buck is sending, yet another message, through you and SLG in bringing this post back.

You just made my day.

:hug:

:star:

Love,

-Carolyn

RaspberrySwirl wrote:
Carolyn, read the poem you putup for Buck right after Maxie died....When I read it I couldn'tbreathe. Life has a way of making full circles. You probablydidn't even remember posting that. Yet SLG has referred to Buck as astar all along........;)

Raspberry

Ditto! I have tears in my eyes!

Latest posts

Back