need a diagnosis on a young doe

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello :) I'm fairley new to the website and was wondering if someone could help me with one of my female bunnies

While out checking on my rabbits as I usually do (a really large routine as I have 21 of them!) my mother had noticed a rather unusual sight on her young doe Blue. It seems as though her vagina has sort of fused together and then ripped open again and revealing something red from a small to medium size.

It doesn't seem to be causing Blue any discomfort only if you touch the red thing but the fur around her genitals has 'glued' together so to speak she isn't lethargic and its happily enough to eat and drink.

She does share a hutch with her mother and three siblings after we re introduced them to one another after Blue and her two other sisters had litters. Fudge and Lola (sister and mother) where in the same hutch as Blue and where fine but when we reintroduced them to OddBall and Butterscotch they all fought with one another but that was just one day and they day after they where perfectly fine munching along and causing havoc around the garden. this wound does look new and we did introduced all the big girls together just over a month ago.

Many Thanks :)

It looks like it's near/in her scent glands. I would take her to the vet- it very well could be an adenocarcinoma (a type of cancer) or an infection or something along those lines. Keep us updated on how she is doing!

Vet, no question asked. I doubt very much something like that is going to right itself on its own, so don't wait until it gets worst. It's best to treat while the doe is still in good health, generally speaking, and not in pain.

Hello, just wanted to say thank to everyone who replied its seems as though she has had a vaginal prolapse. I've had someone come to see her and said she's got a prolapse and to book her into the vet as soon as any mood or eating behaviors change in her. the swelling has gone down a lot and seems to be returning to normal.

Vagianl prolapse is very rare and if that was the case the rabbit would be doing very poorly and bleeding. I'm going to say it might be rabbit syphilis? Does she have any sores around her eyes nose or mouth? If it is syphilis the rabbit can transfer the disease to any male that is bred to her or any babies that she might have. Sores also tend to go away and come back. I would get her checked out

Last edited:
honestly? Looks to me like she got poop caught near her vet, it got pulled off and now she has an owie. It can look badly swollen for a while and then heal fairly well.

looks like a small prolapse to me as well. No more breeding for that doe! Seriously. And if you can...get her spayed to prevent it from happening again. Do it once.. can do it again but more severely.

Latest posts

Back