Triple Bonding?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

melmoz

Reaction score
I was wondering if any one had any experience introducing a third rabbit into a bonded pair.

I currently have a male Holland and have been on the search for months for a rescue Holland that mixes well with him and me. I have just come across a bonded pair of Holland male brothers who seem like a great match for us, but that would make three rabbits, of course.

I know male and female pairings usually work best and I have only ever seen information about bonding two rabbits.

What do you all think about three males trying to get along?

The risk of attempting to add a 3rd rabbit is that the original bond may break. One never knows what may happen. Could be that two pair off or could be that all 3 will begin fighting. It is totally hit or miss and is ultimately up to the individual rabbits.

Some have had success with one male to two females. Three males sounds like a stretch.

3 males is a really risky combination. I wouldn't attempt it. Of course, you never know, but adding a 3rd rabbit to a duo might break the first bond and is already a risky move, but male x male is also the worst combination possible. Not only is it pretty hard to make unrelated males get along, but the bond is often unstable (reccurent fights for dominance and coups are pretty frequent and sometimes occur for the whole duration of the bond).
Don't attempt it if you are not prepared to keep the rabbits separated in case it goes wrong. If I were you, I would take a spayed female, no question about it even if it meant going out of the strict 'holland lop' area. If you can't find what you are looking for in rescues, have you tried asking breeders if they have adults to rehome?

Has anyone ever had a successfully bonded triple? If so, what were there sexes and how was it done?

You should try what you think is best while preparing for the worst. Because I've read negative things about every combination. Two males will fight over a female. Females don't get along because they're too territorial. Etc etc. I believe it's based on personality. You never know! I've seen trio bonding tips on thebunnychick.com. You could read them and go from there.

Latest posts

Back