Baby Questions

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aurora369

Reaction score
I don't know if there's already a post on this subject, I did a search but didn't find anything.

This morning I checked on my three babies, who are 8 days old now, andone of them looked like one eye was slightly puffy. Is thisbecause they are getting ready to open their eyes, or is this somethingto be concerned about. There's no weeping or redness or anysigns of discomfort, but is still makes me worry.

Also, the mother has been getting more protective of them, and she'sgetting madder when I take the nest box out of the cage.Should I stop taking the babies out? She doesn't reject themwhen I put them back, she just seems to be protesting me taking themaway.

I know I will have more questions in the future, so I'm going to postthem here. And if there's another thread about babies, couldsomeone bump it for me?

Thanks everyone!

PS. I'll post some pics soon, probably tonight for everyone tosee. I've got one harlequin and two gold/red not sure whatcolour yet mini rex babies.

Dont worry, I am sure that it is nothing seriouswith your doe. Mine got mad too when I looked at the babies, but it isvital that you check them and make sure they are ok. Aboutthe eye, it might be a disease; wait until the 10th day after they wereborn and if he doesnt open his eye on time, I would take him to a vetand make sure he is ok. Mine didnt open their eyes until 12 days so heshould be ok.

It takes normally14 days forthe eyes to open . some open them sooner someDO NOT If the eyes are not openby day 14 your going toneed to wipethem with warm salt waterand very gently open them . there may very well bean infection in there , there may not be .puffyness is usually a sign somethingis wrong . Keep a close eye on it andif you see any weeping or oozing get thebaby to a vet ,

The Mother may not like you taking the babies out ,Personally I do not remove the babies from themother for anything other than health checksand nest checks . Otherwise I leave themto tend them . I know a lot ofpeople do remove babies and only put themback in long enough for feeding andgrooming , Personally I dont get theconcept Unless the mother isneglecting them or trying to harm them .I wont risk the Motherrejecting them by taking them in and out constantly.

Try a treat for the mother , somethinglow in sugar she may like before you try removing the babies, it may or may not help .
Most wont discuss what happens when aMother rejects babies that have been takenout . I will , I had a mother who when I removed the babiesfor a bit too long as far as she wasconcerned try to litterally Killthem when I went to put themback . That was a lesson learned and I have neverrepeated it and never will IF theres anymore babiesborn here they will definatley staywiththe mother untill weaned .

I leave the babies in with her, and I just takethem out to check them over. She's doing a very good job oflooking after them, and I normally look at them when she's out in herrun having some excercise. But she's been getting more vocalanytime I come near her or the cage, she squeals at me when I'm givingher fresh hay or food.

Eyes should open up at 10days.If they do notopen after14days, gently moisten them with warm water. DO NOT open themyourself.Normally this happens because there is toomuch crust on the eye. If you moisten the eye everyday andthis does not help, take it to the vet. Opening the eyeyourself could cause damage or even blindness.

I have been raising rabbits for 14 years and *knock on wood* have beenblessed with trusting mothers. I have been able to take thebabies out and such. However, I never take them out of themother's sight. Also, I have heard of things happening, likeGypsy said, and unfortunately this resulted in babiesdeaths.

I would stop taking the nestbox out if she is beingaggressive. Have you tried taking her out first and givingher some free time while you look at the babies? I wouldreally stress just leaving the babies in the cage and giving the mothera treat when you check on them. Better safe thansorry! Congrats, by the way!

Sharon

In the literature I've read and participation onforums through the years, you don't have to worry about eyes not beingopen until the 14th day. Checked it with Pamnock, and she agreed. Notto worry until the 14th day, unless the eyes are crusty.

:)

-Carolyn

Latest posts

Back