Can a bunny be housed alone?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hiccup17

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I have kinda an odd question. I have a roughly 8 week old rabbit whose breed is unknown. I have no idea how big she is going to get. I would love to get a friend eventually, but what if she gets too big for her friend? Is that an issue in rabbits? I don't want her to be lonely, will she be ok being housed by herself? Obviously I give her attention every day, and as her litter training gets stronger she'll get lots of out of cage time.

For the first 7 years of his life, my 3.5lb dwarf bun lived alone and was fine. I spent lots of time with him, though.
The two of us have since moved in with my fiance and his 85lb black lab. My bun looooooves the dog. He is so, so happy to spend the majority of his awake time chasing the dog around, cuddling with the dog and trying to get the dog to play if he's out of reach. In terms of size, I would say as long as both buns get along fine, size is not an issue. My bunny does get unintentionally kicked by the dog sometimes (and I hate seeing that) but they are very well supervised and my bunny has never been actually harmed.

So, although it doesn't exactly answer your question, in my experience lone rabbits are ok if you have a good bond with them and size is not an issue if there is ample supervision.

Most indoor rabbits can do fine as a single bun. They need lots of attention and time out-of-cage for exercise.

As she approaches 4-ish months of age, you may notice a change in her behavior as hormones kick in. Some bunnies begin to lose their potty habits then. At 5 or 6 months of age she can be spayed. You will want to get her spayed if you think you may want to get her a companion sometime in the future. For rabbits to bond well, they both need to be fixed (otherwise hormones get in the way of a bond).

The size difference or breed difference of rabbits will have no bearing on whether or not 2 rabbits can bond. The more important factors are both being fixed and both being receptive to each other. Some rabbits are very particular about which other rabbit they will accept. Bonding rabbits can be a long process. I have seen giant breeds bonded with dwarf breeds. Sometimes 2 rabbits absolutely refuse to get along. It depends on the individual rabbit.

Latest posts

Back