how do I build an agility course?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

12lawliet12Snickers, Truffle

Reaction score
I want to build an agility course for Snickers. He's.. really athletic. More like a mountain goat than a rabbit, really. He likes to climb up the walls of Truffle's cage and then jump vertically up into the box I keep their supplies in. I was thinking of mentally stimulating him by training him to jump, but I don't know how to get him to understand what I want him to do or how to build a course. What goes in a rabbit agility course? Is it anything like a dog course? Where would I buy supplies? Hobby lobby sells really long wooden dowels for 25¢, could I use those? And I don't know how to use any tools, other than a screwdriver that I use to change the needle in my sewing machine. Would glue work? Or aquarium sealant? I have a lot of sealant left over from the 30 gallon hexagon I found by the side of the road. I'm really hesitant to use any tools because I'm really really accident prone. I can't even navigate my way out of a room without hurting myself 90% of the time. Any advice would be appreciated!

I used a drill and a dremel to build my course... the only thing I needed the dremel for was to cut plastic cups in half to make the supports for the dowels on the jump... if you have film canisters around (what I was originally told to use but couldn't find), you might be able to get away with box cutters or an x-acto knife or something instead of a dremel, since the plastic is softer. you could probably use a hammer and nails for just about everything I used a drill and screws for. (for what it's worth, if you can get your hand on a dremel, you use pretty low RPMs for cutting plastic, like 10-15k, and if you accidentally brush the "cutting" wheel against your skin while it's spinning, you won't get hurt)

here's how I made my course: http://www.rabbitsonline.net/f18/nala-gaz-70961/index29.html#post949514

as for getting them to learn it, I tried a harness at first but all that did was let me correct them after they went around something... then I set it up so there was a playpen right up against each side of the course and they *couldn't* go around and they started flying through it like pros. for the most part, you give 'em a little nudge on the bootie and they figure it out for themselves pretty quickly.

if you go to "groups" at the top, there's an agility group you can join, too :)

I used cardboard tubes and chew sticks lol

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzl_2xcedsw[/ame]

Latest posts

Back