Do I neuter my bunny?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nialuvsace

Reaction score
My bunny is a one year old male. Do I have to get him neutered? We have no other rabbits. He is a very happy and plays alot. Would he lose this personality if we were to neuter him? What about his health? I understand that it is best to get female rabbits done due to false pregnancies and cancer but are there any health risks if I don't get my male rabbit neutered? :?

:bunnyheart

With males it isn't as common to have health related issues as females but there is the possibility of problems. Testicular cancer isn't high (that we know of) but it is possible. I can honestly say that I have not noticed major changes in my neutered males. I have currently 5 males here that were neutered after they had lived with me. So I saw them before and after. No changes cept one is neater now than before.

Now I have one male who I can not neuter because of health issues, his hormones are on the go ALL the time. If I could I would fix him just so he could relax, and not have to be so "happy".

I will let others tell you what they think. If he was female I would be pushing a spay big time but as a male I can say that I would if possible but would not be as worried if he wasn't neutered. I myelf would have it done with a rabbit savy vet but he is your bunny.

Unneutered males also smell a lot more strongly than neutered ones, just something to think about.

I have a male rabbit and he is neutered. He is so much happier. I would get your Custard neutered so that he can live a long healthy life without potential problems later down the road.

I also have a female rabbit who is spayed. She is very healthy.

I don't feel single males need to be nueterd.
There is a low chance of health problems (Unlike females) and if he is already happy with no horomone issues, I don't feel any need.

I would not get my holland lop nueterd if it was not the fact I have 2 other bunnies.

They can smell stronger, so it is something to consider. They also may not use the litter box.

But having a single male who is behaveorial sound, I don't see the need. Just my two cents.

I agree with Myia. If the boy has no undesirable traits right now, there's not much of a need to neuter him.

If he were a little stinker who marked everywhere, had litter box training problems, or aggression, then I would consider it.

He's very good with his litter box and is very well behaved, except for the occasional sulk :grumpy which is amusing.

13024_120809_030000000.jpg

Bunny with attitude!

We are very happy with his personality and we will probably put neutering him off for now, considering there are no health risks with keeping him the way he is.

Thank you all for your advice.

:bunnyheart

just keep in mind that everybody loves bunnies at this stage ..then they start to pee in the wrong spot and then they sometimes end up taking a nip at ur finger...and then u start realizing he stinks...thats how bunnies end up being dumped at the pound....alot of the negative things that come with bunnies can be fixed by fixing them....please consider this if he becomes a problem.hes a super cutie...

:yeahthat: coming firsthand from someone who volunteers at the shelter!

Also, if you have a behavioral question or problem, the first thing we'll ever ask is "Is he fixed?" and if not, it's hard to get anywhere to understand many behaviors.

I have to agree with everything that has been said so far.

If there is no need to have him neutered (bearing in mind the risks that come with anasthetic, price, essentially an operation, albeit a fairly non-invasive one) then I wouldn't at the moment.

If you start seeing any behaviours associated with unneutered males then maybe then would be the time to consider it; I would imagine that after about 18months, there should be no behaviour change, so I would wait a little longer, and then decide what you want to do :)

Jen

I have a 4 month old neutered rabbit, he is happy and has settled down alot, he is also much friendlier to the other rabbits.

Latest posts

Back