Help with ideas?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aushi

Reaction score
My parents have been visiting for a month and have a HUGE problem with my rabbit's cage. The rabbits have not been using their litter box at all so the urine is going basically all over their "floor". Under the cage I have a plastic curtain to capture all the urine, so it never actually touches the floor.

They even forced me to move them outside (they leave in like a month x.x; And they've been outside for like three weeks already!)

This is their cage settup now:

2hp2hqo.jpg

It USED to have a ramp to the second floor, but I knew my mom would flip if she knew they were on the floor, so before they even got here I took the ramp away.

So my mom had the idea of demanding my dad make a cage using the NIC panels I already had.

This is her idea:
2nq9std.png

The dimensions are in FEET by the way xD

But it won't fix the smell problem, because with them peeing all over the place, the wood would just absorb the urine and stink and eventually rott. They are in the balcony, under roof and we live in a tropical island. So no snow, and it maybe rains once a month, but we have a roofed balcony anyways so no problems. The balcony has fencing from the floor to the ceiling so no worries about cats and dogs, and no other animals exist where we live xD

I need ideas of what to put on the table that wouldn't absorb the urine and it'd be easy to clean?

OH and before anyone suggests it, when I bought them I had planned on spaying them ASAP (after research found that 4 months old was ideal, they were just one month old when I got them), and I called vet after vet and finally found one like 2 hours away who operates on Rabbits, but he is unwilling to do so until they are 6 months old, they're 4 months old now :( At first he says it's not a problem to do it at 4 but then changed his mind because they're very small still.

AND ALSO I wash the curtain basically every day in the washing machine, and the towel as well, so it doesn't stink xD

Last edited:
My mother suggested tiles, thoughts?

Rabbits like to pee on anything soft so I would get rid of the blanket that you have on their floor and put down something solid and waterproof. The tiles sound like a good solution. You could also encourage use of the litter box by cleaning everything with vinegar to get rid of the smell and then hang some hay in a rack over the litter box. You might even want to get a bigger box. I have used that small corner one before and my rabbit would pee and poop over the edge because it just wasn't big enough. A small rectangular cat litter box or dish pan with part of one side cut out for climbing in would be better. To train them to pee and poop in the litter box, just soak up any pee accidents with a paper towel and put it in the box. Same for the stray poops, pick them up and put them in the box.

Rabbits like to pee on anything soft so I would get rid of the blanket that you have on their floor and put down something solid and waterproof. The tiles sound like a good solution. You could also encourage use of the litter box by cleaning everything with vinegar to get rid of the smell and then hang some hay in a rack over the litter box. You might even want to get a bigger box. I have used that small corner one before and my rabbit would pee and poop over the edge because it just wasn't big enough. A small rectangular cat litter box or dish pan with part of one side cut out for climbing in would be better. To train them to pee and poop in the litter box, just soak up any pee accidents with a paper towel and put it in the box. Same for the stray poops, pick them up and put them in the box.

I did some reading and apparently it's because they're nervous! They were peeing inside the litter just fine when they were inside the house, but outside, we live right in front of a busy street and they are terrified half the time :\ While my parents are here, after we get the cage done tomorrow, I'm moving them to the backyard, quiet and peaceful. The backyard is covered by a roof so no worries about the elements there either and the fence is a cement fence that is 6' tall so no worries about animals getting in either!

And yes! The size makes sense, when they WERE litter trained, they were much smaller too! I already clean things with vinegar and water (thats the blue spray thingy you see at the bottom lol) so that probably helps then. Probably a combo of being uncomfortable outside and the small litter box did it for them.

I'm gonna get THREE cat litter boxes, two for outside time and one for inside the cage. We decided to make the wooden cage but use the tiles as the floor and just use the towel for a corner for them to relax on.

I'll post pictures of the cage tomorrow!

Can't wait for my parents to leave so I can have them inside again xD They seem to be very mad at me too, won't let me touch them outside of the cage. If I touch them while they're inside, they don't mind. But outside they run from me ;(

UPDATE:

10qcvom.jpg

Tiles with plastic underneath in case any urine goes through it doesn't touch the wood. They can't access the plastic at all :) What do you guys think?

Latest posts

Back