Nearly bonded and now fighting?!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been working on bonding a neutered Mini Holland Lop (little over a year) and a spayed English Spot rescue (will be a year this month). I've had my boy, Hannes, since he was around eight weeks old and he is free roam. We went on bonding dates starting in February and adopted my girl, Bijou, in March.

It's been a slow go with bonding, but about 2-3 weeks ago, I let them go into each other's territory/rooms and they were both pretty accepting (she has primarily been the more dominate one and him more laxed). They even spent two whole nights together in my room, grooming, lounging next to each other, sharing everything. I felt we were finally almost finished until a fight broke out one evening in my room last week which has never happened!

Since then, we have had fights nearly every time I put them together which includes nipping, chasing, biting, fur being pulled but no major injuries thankfully because I've been able to stop it in time. I've noticed my boy seems more demanding for grooming (normally it was usually her who demanded) and he seems more aggitated when she demands anything and will fight back, which is not like him. I have no idea what suddenly went wrong and where to go from here! I don't want what little bond they had to be broken, but they can't be together long before fighting starts all over again. Any thoughts or suggestions on what to do from here?

Side note: I just saw today that one of his eyes is weepy which I know can play a part in them not getting along so I will get that checked out, but the fighting started before this, unless there has been something underlying...?

A rabbit can certainly by grumpy or out-of-sorts before physical symptoms are visible. I'd assume this has more to do with whatever is causing the eye issue (could be an infection or a tooth issue, etc).

I'd also consider keeping them separate to avoid any fighting until he's been diagnosed. It's a tough situation because you hate to separate them but it will be worse for their future bond to have scuffles now.

Thanks so much for your response. I didn't know if I should continue to separate them totally or at least let them see each other until we see what's going on with his eye. I've been keeping them apart and I have an appointment for him on Tuesday- she's also going for her normal check up and I'm not sure if I should put them in the same carrier or not? I would hate for them to fight in the carrier but wasn't sure under a stressful situation how they would react...

I was thinking about the carrier situation earlier... not sure what to think about that. On one hand they may do fine in the carrier and seek comfort from each other. On the other hand, they could fight instead. Also, if he's contagious, well, that obviously wouldn't be good to put them together then.

Going separate also risks that new smell, don't-recognize-the-smell-of-this-rabbit-anymore issue.

So I don't know what to suggest for the vet trip.

At home, perhaps they can be separate but still be in view of each other, provided it isn't stressing them.

Yeah, I'm at a loss on the carrier! Might ask the guy who does bonding at the House Rabbit Society or call the vet and get their no opinion.
I don't think his eye is contagious (he's prone to weepy eyes because of his breed and had a blocked tear duct in the same eye back in April) but I could be wrong...
I do let them see each other through a gate and mostly they just chew on it because they know freedom is on the other side and want out!
Thanks again for your thoughts :)

Latest posts

Back