Rabbits Online > Pet Rabbit Discussion > Health & Wellness > Not enough poops, lethargic and high temperature after anaesthesia?

Old 03-20-2017, 09:01 PM   #11
bunnychubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by missyscove View Post
I'm sorry for your loss. That fever would definitely have me concerned as well. I suspect there was something going on before the anesthetic event.
Yes that is my guess. See I noticed she was often hot and I assumed it was because it was summer and she was big and fluffy. So in the two weeks before the anesthetic even I was having to put the fan on her to help her out a bit. One of those things we'll never know xx

Old 03-21-2017, 03:07 AM   #12
JBun
Jenny - Health & Wellness Mod
RABBIT_ADMIN.png

Liked 1131 Times on 977 Posts
Likes Given: 60

I'm so very sorry to hear about your bun I know it's usually recommended to spay/neuter pet rabbits, but it's something I always dread doing, and stress the entire time. I lost a bun due to his neuter surgery, and know how sad and difficult it is when it happens.

Old 03-21-2017, 03:41 AM   #13
RavenousDragon

Liked 180 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 427

I am so sorry for your loss. If there is anything we can do, let us know!

Old 03-21-2017, 03:45 AM   #14
LadyBug101
Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Im so sorry for your loss. Fevers can be fatal for rabbits, but remember, it wasnt your falt.

Old 03-28-2017, 03:54 PM   #15
Thumperina

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBun View Post
I'm so very sorry to hear about your bun I know it's usually recommended to spay/neuter pet rabbits, but it's something I always dread doing, and stress the entire time. I lost a bun due to his neuter surgery, and know how sad and difficult it is when it happens.
with my females (who are about 5 yo by now) the vet told me honestly that he wouldn't spay them at this age. He said that the risk is higher than possible benefits

So very sorry that you lost her, bunnychubbles. She seemed like a very lovable bun. Binky free, Charlie !

Old 03-28-2017, 07:52 PM   #16
Aki
Liked 158 Times on 152 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I'm so sorry for your loss.
But nothing says the problem had anything to do with the operation, it's very probable it has just revealed something that wasn't yet apparent. The operation in itself, when done by a competent vet, is not risky outside of the normal risk linked to the anesthesia (in the French main association related to house rabbits, which counts hundred of members and more than a thousand bunnies, only 3 deaths were linked to an anesthesia during the past 4 years and they were caused by underlaying conditions - we got a lot more deaths caused by the new myxomatosis vaccine). So, well, you couldn't have suspected anything and took the right decision even if it's probably hard to think so right now...
Contrarily to Thumperina's vet, I totally would get a 5 years old doe spayed if she seemed healthy. Five years is not old for a rabbit anymore and the risk of cancer is about 80 times what the operation risk is. A lot of vets do it (on the other hand, I would try to look for a vet who feels confident doing it beforehand ^^').

Old 03-28-2017, 08:22 PM   #17
Thumperina

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 4

thanks Aki. The same vet told me - ask me how many rabbits with cancer have I seen? No single one, he said. Not sure if its due to the fact he is not just a rabbit vet. He is a general vet . What are cancer rates in your French society?

I haven't heard that being overweight makes the surgery impossible. My bunnies are not small at all

Old 03-30-2017, 03:17 AM   #18
RavenousDragon

Liked 180 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 427

Being overweight (unless it's EXTREME) hasn't ever been a problem in my personal experience. Cancer, though, is seen all the time (again, my experience). In my personal experience, about 80% of rabbit uteri after the age of 5 have either cysts or cancer (cysts are painful, but harmless). But again, that's just a personal experience.

Old 03-31-2017, 10:16 PM   #19
Nancy McClelland
Larry
RABBIT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 749 Times on 623 Posts
Likes Given: 1233