O/T Introducing Nipper

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dajeti2

Reaction score
I was sitting outside this morning intears thinking of mambo and Fonzie. I saw something strange moving onthe driveway. I went to check it out and there was a tiny turtle. Ibrought him in the house and set up a temporary home for him so Jeremycould see him when he woke up.

Jeremy eventually woke up and went nuts. He's hopping aroundbegging us to keep him. As I'm about to say no Dale chimes in with, Youneed to set the fish tank up for it.:shock::shock::shock:

I was so not expecting this turn of events. So know he have atiny snapping turtle. Gypsy has helped fill in the blanks about what Ididn't know about caring for him. She sexed him through pictures andgave him the most awesome and cutest name... Nipper.

I always heard that snapping turtles were so mean but thislittle one is sweet as can be so far. We've been handling him off andon and he hasn't once tried to nip or anything. He is adorable.

Here are a few pictures of him.

Tina

Cute! We had one a few years ago, butI was afraid I would kill him (unsure about the best care for him), sowe released him at a lake in a wildlife preserve. We only hadhim a couple of weeks, but he grew A LOT.

Laura

I was worried about the proper food forhim but Dale said they'll eat just about anything and it's true. He'shad some bugs, cucumber and squash already. Jeremy is hunting for wormsas I type.

I can't get over how cute he is really. The next cool or cutecritter I see I am so not bringing it in the house. These two want tokeep everything.:shock::shock:Toads, snakes, turtleseverything. Boys will be boys no matter how big they are lmbo.

Tina

Turtles and Rabbits are natural companions - according to B'er Rabbit?

He is a cutie - but Snappers can be agressive, so as he gets older and bigger you should watch out.
They are able to bite off a chunk of you! The size chunk depends on the size of their mouth!
I saw one chasing our collie one day years ago. The turtle was HUGE andI had to go out and pull the dog away from him. They were snapping ateach other, the dog snarling and the turtle making this awful gruntingnoise - It was scary!
I've also seen baby snappers going after our ducks! They don't seem to care that their prey is a bit bigger then them!

Sfritzp, That's the one thing thatworries me, But from some people I've already spoken to they said aslong as he is well fed and properly handled we should be ok. I am sohoping that's true and so going to keep the little guy socialized and afull tummy.

Zara, isn't it the truth though. Thanks he is adorable.

Jenni, you sound so much like me. I would need to win the lottery if I got all the critters we want.;)

Tina

i have a red eared slider, and just took him tothe vet who told me that turtles can live for 50 to 60 years. and i'vealready had him for 15 years. so he could still be alive when i am 80years old!!! i don't know about snapping turtles. but good luck withyours, and watch out for that beak!

Nicole.

Snapping turtles havebeen know to reach the ripe ageof 100 . They also have been on the Earthfor many eons , they were orignally in one ofthe prehistoric ages , my memoryis short right now and cant remeberwhich one , but they Like Crocsand gators are True Dinosaurs ,One of the very few Species to liveto this Millenium . Snapping turtles canreach well over 100 lbs ifproperly fed and cared for , Or left inthe Wild, they havevery few preditors .

Just have to share this... When theywere building thelocal K-Mart8 years ago (like weSO needed one! NOT!) They disturbed an old swampypond back in the woods (that are not THERE anymore!). I wasdriving by and saw this "thing" in the road, thought it was alog. Then it moved it's head!

It was the biggest snappuing tutle I've ever seen! Had to gohome to get my husband ("Honey, you HAVE to come help me get thisturtle off the road, too big, I can't lift it, huge!" He'snot believing a word of this! Til he got there!) Itwas 55+ lbs. ,over 36" head to tail, and the naturalist wetook it to, estimated SHE was over 50 years old! Can youimagine? Forced to leave your home of 50 years for a K-Mart!

We ended up taking her to a local preserve to release in a biglake. (NO, WE WERE NOT KEEPING IT!) The naturalist came withus and made sure the area was suitable. I feel good that wedidn't leave her on the road to get hit by a car, and no body gotbitten. (Not that she didn't try!)

Just a side note, the K-Mart is nowclosed and the turtle wasseen lastspring by a nature study group at the preserve,doing just fine!

I'm not sure if turtles have the same calciumneeds as reptiles, but I would think it would be prettyclose. You can get this powder stuff at pet stores tosprinkle on his insects- it's a mineral supplement.

He's really cute!

My father in law has a huge alligator snappingturtle in his basement. Meaner then a mad dog but amazing tosee this big guy.

FYI, my father in law is a biology teacher and a wildlife rehabilitator ;) for reptiles anyway

Another interesting thing about Snappers is that long tail - it is quite a weapon itself!
When the dumb collie was after the turtle (and he was really dumb -beauitful - as he looked just like 'Lassie', but dumber then a box ofrocks) he grabbed it's tail, which was about 2 foot long, and thatturtle whipped the dog to the side! The dog was soshocked, he let go and looked at the turt with this 'Duh?' look on hisface. This was about the time I got there to try to break up the fight.That was the point the turtle turned real fast - faster then I wouldexpect it to - and was snapping that mouth and charging at the dog.
I grabbed the dog by the tail and pulled him away. The dog startedcrying in pain, but I told him it was less painful then him having ahole where his nose used to be! That turt kept coming towards us,though. I will never forget that scene!
But, this turtle was attacked, and I believe they are basically passive until provoked by anything stupid enough to do so...
Nipper is going to have the good life, I think! No reason for him to act up!

FreddysMom, thank you. Jeremy took Nipper and let him swim in the bathtub, it was so funny.

Nicky, I have heard horror stories about their bite. I hopethat we can socialize him enough so that biting is never an issue. Sofar he's been an issue. Jeremy put his hand in the tub and Nipper swamright up and rested on his hand.

Lyndsy, I think I am going to start charging an admission lmbo,Tina's petting Zoo. Thanks, I never thought snapping turtles were thatmuch to look at but now that I can see one up close they are reallypretty.

Pgg, thanks. He is going to be a lot of fun.

Gypsy, thank you SOOO MUCh for all your help and the name. You are so awesome.

Blue Giants, how heartbreaking. I am so glad you were able tohelp her. I'm glad she is doing well in her new home.

Bunsforlife, I bet he is awesome to see. Any chance you wouldbe able to a picture posted one day? I would love to see him.

Sfritzp, We were all cracking up at Nipper's tail. It's lookslike it's as long as his body is. I am hoping we never do anything thatmakes him feel he has to whip or bite. I would feel bad if I did.

Tina

Latest posts

Back