Maybe getting alittle Polish Bun

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baracuda56

"Love My Buns"
Reaction score
Yippy! I came across a pedigreed little dwarf Polish bun that needed a new home little broken white & chocolate doe shes cute and weighs only 2.5lbs I have asked my daughter to make arrangements with the folks to go and get her for me since my daughter lives down state where these people are and bring her to me i hope it all goes well and that she comes home to me. I think im going to call her "Cookie" because shes chocolate & white like a chocolate chip cookie LOL!! Lets hope by tomarrow i have a new little Poilsih doe.

Is there anyone here that has a Polish rabbit??

polish dwarf.jpg

:wiggle:woohoo WOOOHOO "Cookie" will be home by late tomarrow night, my daughter is making a long trip shes going to work then home to get her boyfriend for the trip then to pick up Cookie and then all the way here then all the way back home again. It will take her from 8pm till 12 midnight to make her journey to here and then another 3 hrs for her to get back home. I will snap lots pics to post of my new sweet little girl once shes all settled in, shes going to be in the cage there sending her in till hubby builds her a custom cage. Atleast shes comming to a very loving home where she will be pamperd, spoiled and well cared for. Keep watching this post for updates on "Cookie".:bunnyheart

I am happy to report "Cookie" is now in her new forever home with us, poor baby girl, from what my daughter told me about the place and the conditions all the rabbits were in and what the pic shows and the way she came in is just sad the cage is run down, full of cobwebs, empty dirty old water bottle, old funky food dish no food very old bedding lots waste cage had not been cleaned in a VERY long time and "Cookie" is thin. Her nails got trimmed and shes now on straw/aspen bedding mix with plenty fresh timothy hay and fresh Manna Pro pellets and fresh water dish for the night and in a make shift cage till we scrub clean and disinfect her old cage and fix it up real nice for her. She will have a litter box at one end with hay and food dish and water at other end with toys and be in that till hubby custom makes her a cage thats bigger. I have to run to town tomarrow and get few things but when i get back will charge my cam batteries and get some pics of her shes very sweet alittle scared but doing well and now eating like crazy and drinking. This pic shows how my daughter rescued her with the cage and you can see how awful it looks. She did manage to get the pedigree.

No more crappy lonely awful life for Cookie shes with a new loving family now.

poor cookie's cage and conditions.jpg

That looks pretty bad... Good for her that she got out of where she was. I wish her a long and happy life at your house! I never had a Polish but it is my understanding that they are like Nethies... only nicer XD

Quick update befour i head to town im happy to report Cookie is eatting like a little piggy she must have gone along time without food and water she drank ALOT and is pooing normal and doing well shes settled down real well very adorable little bun and AKI shes just like Rosie our Netherland Dwarf tiny and sweet. Poor baby going thru what she did now she gets to live a more loving carring posh life with people whom love her dearly. I will get pics of her later this evenning when i have time the cam batteries are charging right now. Gota pick up a new water bottle while in town and new feed hopper as well and some new toys for her. My daughter said the conditions where she was she stated i would have lost it and got very upset with these people on how they care for there pets. Crappy cages are one thing but no water and no food or hay is not good at all and standing for along time in her own waste is bad for the feet and legs. Atleast now shes clean and her toenails are trimmed. I will get a weight on her later as well so we can chart her weight over the next few weeks as she recoops from everything shes been thru. The whole top of the cage was spiders and cobwebs.

Last edited:
Lovely rescue story. I would recommend a bowl for water that can’t be tipped over rather than a bottle. I use one of those that fills itself. Sometimes they struggle with the bottles. Can’t wait to see pics.

Lovely rescue story. I would recommend a bowl for water that can’t be tipped over rather than a bottle. I use one of those that fills itself. Sometimes they struggle with the bottles. Can’t wait to see pics.

Thank you and we did use a water bowl insted of a water bottle its much easier for her to use and she has not tipped it over its one of those small ceramic dishes.

Good for you--all of ours have been rescues too.

Thank you Larry, i knew she was in deplorable conditions when i saw the pic of her sitting in her own waste filthy cage that was the top pic i posted it was from the seller. But when my daughter called from the peoples house in anger and tears i knew i was right all along. Im glad we rescued her and my daughter helped even though it was late at night and by the time my daughter finaly arrived here from many hrs of driving it was 3am in the mornning when she finaly made it here. Im proud of my daughter i raised her right as we did many rescues together back in the days when we ran a rescue for exotics pulling all nighters back then, she only stayed for a hr and had to turn around and drive another 2 hrs back home and then go to work at 6am.

OK UPDATE time, "Cookie" is now in a clean disinfected fresh cage with a litter box set up and toys. We took the wire part of the cage and blasted it to get the cobwebs and spiders off it then scrubbed it down with bleach water and let it sit for few mins then rinsed and washed again with antibacterial soap let stand and rinsed again, then when it came time to clean the plastic bottom it was horrible we wore face breather paper mask because of the microbs floating in the air as we scrapped the old manur bedding out it was terrieble she was standing on a 3 to 4 inch layer of waste and pee that has hardened, hubby got out this flat blade thingy and we scrapped and scrapped and scrapped till we got as much as we could then sprayed it with the house then let it soak in bleach water for 1 hr then i scraped again as much as i could the minerl/calcium buildup was so bad it took me awhile to get almost all of it off. Finaly got it as clean as i could and rinsed and then re soaked again with antibacterial soap water for half hr more then rinsed off. This will hold her over till we get funds in 2 weeks to get more supplies to build her a custom cage. The bottom is newspaper for now and litter box at one end where she had gone pee and poo the most previously we use hay in the litter box as they eat the poo and when she has any accident outside the box i clean that up and place it in the box so that she gets the smell in there it helps her learn this is where you go not anywhere else. She has few toys now as well. Shes use to being a outside bun so for now shes in the garage but im making room in the office to bring her in to live once hubby makes her new cage. Everyone has given her LOTS of love petting and attention since shes been here. Shes eating like she was starving and she acts like she cant get enough hay poor baby girl porbably hasnt had food for awhile as i can feel her ribs and back bone badly. Anyways sufice to say she is now a happy bun with all the good food and clean cage and loving family. Pics are kinda crappy but you can kinda see how we have her set up. Oooooops my bad forgot to turn the red eye off on the camn darn it.. :rollseyes

Like i stated this is only temporary housing till a new custom cage is built.

DSCF4487.JPG

DSCF4482.JPG

DSCF4480.JPG

DSCF4481.JPG

DSCF4488.JPG

Well we have desided to go with this brand new cage till hubby can get something built come spring for Cookie, its the Prevue Pet Products
Prevue Animal Home its way larger than what shes in its
47 L x 23 W x 37 H, it has a full opening top panel door or one smaller opening door on top and also a front opening door as well, the bottom tray slides out for easy cleaning and we are going to modify the wire bottom so that it will sit lower down in the pan part so that it will create a splash guard just incase Cookie has any accidents while litter box training. Since shes so tiny we will have plenty of room for toys and twig tunnel or hideout and room for her to zoom around like Rosie does now. LOL!! Plus a big help will be the wheels we will be able to have here anywhere we want in the house i can wheel her from room to room if i want. This and her having out of cage time will be a big plus in her life since all shes known for the past 2 yrs is nothing but small cage life with no interaction, no love, no toys and no free time out. Shes been doing so well shes perked up and been very active and eatting like a little piggy.:weee:

cookies new cage.jpg

Very cute! For future reference, a half vinegar, half water mix does wonders to remove those stains caused by urine on the litter box and cage. Especially if you let it sit. That’s what I use to clean my rabbits litter boxes every couple days. I just keep an old spray bottle filled with that.

Very cute! For future reference, a half vinegar, half water mix does wonders to remove those stains caused by urine on the litter box and cage. Especially if you let it sit. That’s what I use to clean my rabbits litter boxes every couple days. I just keep an old spray bottle filled with that.

:thanks: I will make note of that thank you, it had built up in that old cage for i dont know how long probably the whole time the rabbit lived in there maybe longer befour Cookie lived in it, the conditions were so deplorable.. Just so sad what she went thru but not anymore now shes a happy little tiny bun..:wiggle:happyrabbit:

This reminds me of a time when I had several guinea pigs and bred them sometimes. Through one posting, I found another guinea pig lover and she got several of my guinea pigs as well as others from other people. However, several months later, she asked me to take her guinea pigs and rehome them due to financial reasons, as she could not bear to do it herself. Although I didn't take any cages, she brought cages and all with her, and warned me they were heavy as she had just been adding litter to the cages versus cleaning them out more frequently ... so the top layer looked fairly clean, but underneath that, it was very dirty. Some piggies were thin, and some had some caked "dirt" on their feet. Yes, I took them and managed to find them all new homes, although I was tempted to keep a few.

This reminds me of a time when I had several guinea pigs and bred them sometimes. Through one posting, I found another guinea pig lover and she got several of my guinea pigs as well as others from other people. However, several months later, she asked me to take her guinea pigs and rehome them due to financial reasons, as she could not bear to do it herself. Although I didn't take any cages, she brought cages and all with her, and warned me they were heavy as she had just been adding litter to the cages versus cleaning them out more frequently ... so the top layer looked fairly clean, but underneath that, it was very dirty. Some piggies were thin, and some had some caked "dirt" on their feet. Yes, I took them and managed to find them all new homes, although I was tempted to keep a few.

Awwww thats very sad to here that, it is awful when someone takes on a pet but dont take on the responsability of the care for them and that means cleaning the cage as well. Cages just dont stay clean by themselfs. Its terrible what these poor animals go thru. Im happy to report "Cookie" is doing well and is eatting normal pooing normal and peeing normal now. And not standing in her own waste anymore, litter box training is going alittle slow with her since shes so use to going where ever in the cage but once shes in the new cage with more room for a larger litter box i will then be able to keep her food dish and hay in a corner of the litter box for her to eat in there which she will potty while eatting and then in turn learn to potty in the litter box insted of all over the cage. Once shes litter box trained i can then move her food dish back outa the potty box. Shes such a sweet little tiny girl why no one cared for her is behond me.

Yippy!! "Cookie's" new cage arrived and she is now in it with a larger litter box that has her pellet food dish it one corner, her mineral salt lick in the middle and hay in another corner it helps to train her to use the litter box quicker, she dont know what to think of the soft coated wire she was use to hard filthy poopy platic bottom cage under her feet for most her life befour she came here. I used plastic coverd cardboard in the corners as a splash guard till she learns to pee in her litter box no need for urine to go out thru the bars. Once she learns the box i will remove the cardboard. Shes alreay got the poop part down now we just need the peeing part coverd down pat. She has lots more room now its nothing fancy but gives her more room to zoom around play with toys ect ect ect. Im gona shop for more toys and pick her up a willow twig tunnel same thing i put in Rosie's cage so that she can chew on it and play with it. Right now shes alittle scared but will get use to it, had to use her old water bottle i scrubed it out with bleach and let it soak and it still didnt get that brown funky stain outa it. Im gona pick up a new bottle when i shop for everything else on friday. I like how its on wheels and i can roll it anywhere i want and that the whole top opens or use just a door on top or use the front pannel door. Atleast now shes having a better life the way it should have been the past 3 yrs of her life.

Oooooops forgot to turn on the red eye function on the cam when i took the pics. Caught her this morning out rolling one of the balls around. :weee: I will draw up plans for a cage for hubby to build come spring this cage will have to do for now thru winter.

DSCF4498.JPG

DSCF4501.JPG

Latest posts

Back