Inaccurate children's book about rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bville

Reaction score
I saw a book about rabbits in the grocery store (a lot of bunny stuff out this time of year) and I just had to look at it. It was so inaccurate it was laughable. The story was about baby bunnies living in a warren underground with their mother. The rabbits illustrated were obviously domesticated rabbits based on their coloring and some had lop ears and some did not. I know that can happen within a litter that some ears lop and some don't, but it just looked like the author didn't do any research or know the first thing about rabbits. They should have consulted RO. Almost everything I know about rabbits I can attribute to learning from this website!

but rabbits do live in warrens in the wild with the babies being born underground.

So they mixed up the colours and didn't make them all a wild brown colour. It's a kids book, they're allowed to take license a bit. :) Or perhaps they took their colours from all the pet bunnies that are allowed to run wild and DO dig warrens and live with their kits underground. :)

Its a kids book, therefor can't be taken seriously. If it was a care book on history and how to care for rabbits, than would be a different situation,

Its a kids book, therefor can't be taken seriously. If it was a care book on history and how to care for rabbits, than would be a different situation,

On that topic, I was given a book on rabbits when I was first interested in them awhile ago published in 1993 I believe. The book was awful in regards to proper care looking back on it now on the basis of food especially- more research is always fundamental!

I saw a book about rabbits in the grocery store (a lot of bunny stuff out this time of year) and I just had to look at it. It was so inaccurate it was laughable. The story was about baby bunnies living in a warren underground with their mother. The rabbits illustrated were obviously domesticated rabbits based on their coloring and some had lop ears and some did not. I know that can happen within a litter that some ears lop and some don't, but it just looked like the author didn't do any research or know the first thing about rabbits. They should have consulted RO. Almost everything I know about rabbits I can attribute to learning from this website!
When my daughter was little she use to go on spinning demos with me & help me unpack & set up. She listened to my talks on spinning, angora rabbits, & historic tidbits. When she was in college she wrote a last minute, unresearched, midnight paper on rabbits. The professor was soooo impressed w/ her knowledge, facts, & "research" of such varied details. (she only had one err).

Ya the author probably just wanted to make it more colourful. I saw an episode on a kids show (Jessie) and they had a bunny who had babies and there was like 5 different breeds of young rabbits.

Gosh, I even know where this warren was :D. There's a recreation centre with lakes and woods (no dogs allowed), and many people set their unwanted pet bunnies free there. Over the years there was a quite colourfull population of ex domesic rabbits turned wild.

Latest posts

Back