Custom built bun house

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice! It looks really cute and cozy, and pretty safe overall, but I don't recommend keeping your rabbits outside in general (unless it's in a shed or 'housey' kind of area outdoors). I keep my Whimzie in the garage (no cars in there) that's connected the house. All of Whimzie's siblings died off a few years ago. They lived only about 2.5 years, and Whimzie is 6. Their owner kept them outside in a wood cage and (I assume) a mosquito virus got them, they became stressed during storms or they saw predators, something of the like. But that's just my thoughts. In the summer though, I think that it would make a nice bunny house. (I like the sliding windows and the lights inside are cool!)

It's cute.

But I don't see how the exercise pen protects from mosquitos (which is presumably your concern?). The pen also can't stop predators - especially birds of prey.

There are some neat outdoor housing ideas at the following site (and some indoor):
http://pinterest.com/catcatxx/rabbit-housing-wall-of-fame/

I don't know which are mosquito proof though. I imagine one would have to put screen around all of it for that.

Thanks guys! Yes, every night they go into their house it's the rule and everything is closed up. During the day they get the option of both. The walls are insulated too. When gets way too cold out we put them in house for the night.

What are you calling 'mosquito virus'? Myxomatosis (it can be transmitted by mosquitoes, from what I know) or something else?

Then, are your rabbits vaccinated? The vaccination is normally pretty effective, but of course it can fail in some rare cases.

I live in Canada bunnies don't get vaccinated here. I'm sure they could? Thoughts?

Latest posts

Back