hello, i'm new too!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnyfufu

Reaction score
Hello, I'm new mommy to 2 does: a REW 6mth old jersey wooly and 8 week old brown broken tort holland lop. Sweet as can be, just wish I could put them in same cage. :rollseyes

my wooly actually growls or hums. my lop is just a cutepie!

Hi Hartleybun and rexes!

thanks for your reply. How can I find the threads on bonding. Would love for my 2 buns to someday be roommates :)

Let me welcome you to Rabbits Online, my name is Dave and I am a moderator on the forum. So if I can be of any help please let me know. This is a terrific website for rabbits and their slaves, not only is it very active but also friendly. I am so glad you’re here and I know you will enjoy it.

Many bunny's recommend their slaves to this site so we may learn of others methods to keeping our furry masters happy.

If you everhave a sick bunny, please post in The Infirmary and include your rabbit's age, breed and health history as well diet and output details leading up to the problem.

I have listed some links I thought you might find interesting:

*For reference the Library section

*To brag or tell everyone about the antics of your bunny or just to talk about your day here is where to start a Bunny Blog, you can also look back at it later and remember when you had a life before your bunny.

*Now all the bunny’s like talk to each other when we mere slaves aren’t around in the Bunny Chat is the spot to be.

*Rabbits Online also has regional forums , this a good way to find a vet in your area that has experience with rabbits and to find out from other nearby of good sources of rabbit supplies.

The Let Your Hare Down section is for anything non-bunny related.

Here is a link tothat will help you and your bunny to connect, How To Bond With Your Bunny.

Now every forum has rules and ours can be found with this link Rabbits Online Forum Rules. This gives guidelines on what is acceptable, what is not and how we hope everyone will treat each other.

Everyone on this forum loves to see pictures of each other’s bunnies. So if you would like to post a picture this link will help you do that, Upload Photo's to Photo Gallery. Then in the post, you click on the "G" in the tool bar to insert your photo. Many people also use Photobucket. You just copy the img file and paste it into the post.

I am glad you have joined rabbits online and I look forward to seeing you around.

Hi JulieW:

good question as to why 2 does. I am new to rabbit world. I fell in love with the REW Jersey wooly doe so I got her. Then I went to a rabbit show and decided to get her a friend, not thinking that age mattered and knowing I didn't want to breed, so got a baby holland lop (7 weeks old). I thought they would be instant friends-what an amateur I was. It was scary and traumatic. I had to separate them right away. Little lop was scared to death and squealed, Big Bunny bit her!! So now they are caged separately with cages right next to each other. They now actually seem to press each other's faces against cage and lick/groom each other. But I am still afraid to house them together due to difference in age and size. 8-9 weeks old-smaller vs 6.5 months old larger

Any suggestions???

Thanks!

I definately wouldn't try bonding them again until they are both spayed. Getting them fixed will help a ton, there's still a chance they won't bond but there's no chance at all until they are fixed and hormones are out of the picture.

Welcome to RO by the way and we LOVE pictures here ;)

Bonding is a long process - check the library section out on this siteas it will give you a step-by-step process; that being said, for the first time trying to bond buns without knowing them well is going to be hard.

First never just put them togetherto see how they interact - especially 2 same sex buns; buns are all about heiracrchy (sp?). One will be more dominant and fight the other to show their in charge and they can REALLY injure each other (and bonding thenmay never happen). If your 2 does are not fixed I wouldn't even suggest trying until you have had them alerted.

I volunteer at a Rabbit rescue shelter and we would never put 2 same sex buns together that were not "family/already together" and theneven then later we find wewe might have to separate them when they "become hormonal" to protect themselves from each other (seems to happen more with boys, but has even happened with the girls).

That being said, your situation might be different and having another set of hands would be helpful. You need to take each bun and put them in a nuetrial territory (one neither is familiar with such as the bathroom, kitchen) and put them nose to Butt (facing away from each other but next to each other, side/by/side). While their doing this you (and friend, or you alone) are just stroking the buns so that they get used to each other. Do this daily for 5 minutes, then put them away; then the next day for 10 minutes, then put them away, etc.. Your trying to get them used to each other and the smell they get from one another until your up to 30 minutes and you back off (tAke your hands off them as you sit next to them) to see THEN how they interact with each other. However,you NEVER want a fight to startor then you have to start ALL OVER..Baby steps - are best and again this can take MONTHS.

I did this with mine (boy and girl) for 8 weeks and thenthe girl Bun got out of her pen one night and chased the boy around all night and when I woke up - they were quasi-bonded.. Felt bad my boy bunny had such a rough night (fur was everywhere) but was REALLY lucky no one bit anyone or was injured. Still was rough for a few moremonths but I never separated them again - just had to be MORE diligent in watching them as the girl was such a "Mean Girl" for awhile; now their just a great couple. So it does happen- just not always easy..

You might check your local rescue groups and see if anyone offer to "bond buns" as here in So Cal I have a couple of places that do offer this service and they are reputable. Here cost $250 or so to do.

Good luck!

Hi. I'm getting new 8 week old dwarf on sunday. I wanted to ask...ive taken care of baby goats before and there was one that we would bottle feed as a treat until he was 6 months old. Can that be done with bunnies?

Hey there GGAZZARA71 - welcome to the site! I don't know the answer to your question offhand, but our bun was very little when we got him - right around 8 or 9 weeks we think - and we switched him from his small water bottle to a water bowl pretty much immediately, and he went straight for the water and never again went back to the water bottle. After several weeks of changing the water bottle and cleaning it - dumping out full bottles each time - we finally gave up and removed the bottle altogether, since he was obviously drinking the water from the bowl.

By the way, you replied on someone else's very old introduction post, you might want to use the New Thread button to begin your own topic in this section, since you will get more people viewing it that way. I'll include a little snapshot of the button below, but it is at the top of the section on the left side.

Welcome and good luck! This site is a great resource and the members are friendly. Do be sure to post a picture of your new rabbit!

start thread.jpg

Latest posts

Back