How to keep hay in and how many litter boxes?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flemish giant

Reaction score
So I have two questions.
1. How do y'all keep the hay in the cage? It isn't a big deal now because we have hardwood floors, but we are moving to a place with carpet and that is going to make cleanup harder.

2. How many litter boxes and bowls should I have for a trio? My pair had one large litter box, one water bowl, and two food bowls. I figured two litter boxes, two water bowls, and three food bowls would suffice.

Ah, a question for the ages... hay has a mind of its own and you will find it in some interesting places. Just tidy as often as you can I guess! I bought one of those tiny little dustpans and it works great for small cleanups.

I have a bonded pair as upstairs free range rabbits in an all-carpeted area, but maybe you can extrapolate to your home and rabbit setup.

1) I keep a vacuum upstairs right in the hallway to vacuum or spot clean as needed, which is often. There's simply no easy way around rabbits and hay: combining these two produces an explosive reaction. The vacuum's basically a piece of hallway furniture... it's not even worth putting it away.

They have their own bedroom where the litterboxes, food, and hay is kept; this limits the bulk of the mess to that room. Most of the room is covered by two large area rugs on top of the carpet, which is much easier to care for than the carpet -- I highly recommend rugs on top of carpets, especially if you don't know whether your rabbits are carpet munchers. (Hint: Assume they are and be proactive.)

I also keep a small ~4-5" box of hay in each of the other two rooms so they have something to snack while not in their bedroom. I just clean up any mess by hand when I refill it.

2) I have three litterboxes for two rabbits. I had two high-sides cat litter boxes, but even at 3.5 & 5.5 lbs, they couldn't fit together in the same litter box. The third was just a smaller one for the dutch who liked a certain area to use as her bathroom on occasion. Basically, I just experimented with what they liked/used and took their input as to what would work best.

I have one 0.5L water bowl with a vertical reserve. It can't be tipped, and holds plenty of water.

As for hay... put it where your rabbits will eat it. I've tried hay racks but my rabbit refuses to use it. I use to put it in my litterbox but now I have a litterbox with a hay rack connected that she uses.

One thing I've found that helps contain the hay: I have a spare cardboard box with door holes that's large enough to go over the litter box. I put the hay in Pippi's litter box, then put the box on top. Pippi loves it. She has privacy to eat and use her box, and she has something else to climb on and chew.

Latest posts

Back