Cough then sneezing? Vets already booked for tomorrow morning!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xxviroxx1

Reaction score
Hi hope you all are well!

So simba is doing great growing nicely also has started groom me a lot he licked my arm for about 30 mins tonight but he was getting cuddles too.

Roughly before his vet visit 2ish 3 weeks ago he kept coughing or hick upping it was very strange but at the vets he was given a clean bill of health.

I got him home and a few days later he started having sneezing fits not one or two like 2-3minutes of constant sneezing and it's been happening at least once day until yester day he was out having a Run and binkying like crazy then he started having a sneezing fit, I see this biggest white cream booger come out I mean it was like a little finger sized, before I could get to him he ate it so I couldn't have a closer inspection, could it be possible it was just a bit of hay or something up his nose?

As I'm a first time bunny owner and I have a cat who sneezes due to allegerys I didn't realise this wasn't a 100% normal I sort of guessed it was right to be that often.

He has no other symptoms no wet nose no running eyes he looks clean, his legs aren't matted or sticky, he seems in perfect health. But we have the vets booked tomorrow any way as best be safe than sorry.

His cage is bare bottom with a fleece and rabbit litter in the tray. It wasn't for the first two weeks of having him until some loverly people here told me wood shavings not very good to used.

Every thing I've read online says the snuffles which seems bad but since he has that giant booger come of of only one nostril he hasn't sneezed today. Sorry for the long post I want to give as much information as possible

I explained the coughing that went into sneezing and the giant booger the no more sneezing after it!

Vet had a look at him checked him from nose to tail, she said he's in perfect health and is 95% certain it was a foreign object that suck but simba manage to finally dislodge with the sneezing. And as he has put on 0.42 kilos she's not concerned.

So I'm happy!

Yay! That's awesome news! One thing which may help to prevent it in the future (maybe, maybe not :p) would be to shake out his hay before you give it to him to get some of the dust off. My Brandy is very sensitive to hay dust, so we have to shake her hay out or she gets all snotty.

That's great! Yeah, accidentally stucking things up their nose can happen to all animals (and even humans... one of my aunt had to go to the hospital once because a mimosa flower got up her nostril after she smelled it too hard ^^'). I don't think you can really prevent that, but the chances of it occurring again seem pretty low to me.

Latest posts

Back