Litter Box Mess

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acdcfan23

Reaction score
I have 2 rabbits who are both very well litter trained but....both have a habit of getting in, doing their business, kicking it everywhere on their way out....any ideas?

Get a cheap plastic tub that's not too tall and a few inches bigger than your litter box, and put the litter box inside. The spilled litter will land in the bigger tub. You could even use just the lid if you wanted. I have big bunnies with big litter boxes, so I use an under bed storage box.

Some people buy or build a hay rack and install it beside the box instead of putting hay directly in the box. That way there's less hay in the box to be tracked out.

I don't know if a covered cat litter box would work for rabbits, as I've never tried one for rabbits. Maybe others could weigh in on whether it's a good idea. My buns love their upside down tubs with doors cut in them for hiding or sleeping.

I have smaller cat litter Boxes and I use usually corn cob bedding or some cheap wood bedding when I run out. Then I put hay on top. I'm defiantly thinking of getting bigger boxes. Also any good recommendations for good litter that helps with smell?

I like to use an 18" x 24" storage box for a litter box -- those are cheap and are a good size. Smaller boxes require more frequent cleaning and get smellier quicker.

The litter I've found works the best for odor control is wood pellets (not shavings). These can be wood stove pellets (no accelerent added) or the wood pellets used for horse bedding.

I add hay twice per day directly on top of the litter. With two rabbits, I'd change the box twice per week. There would be no odor coming from the box during that time. (Of course when I was in the process of actually dumping it, then the smell was strong.)

Moved my rabbits to my boyfriends so now they have a huge pen and a cage for the first few days they had 2 smaller litter Boxes with wood shavings in it and had no problems at all. Got them the new box with new litter and now they go all out around it.

Is this normal and any suggestions on correcting this?

Try offering them one of their old litter boxes as well for a while, using the wood pellets too. If they won't use that either, then it's likely the wood pellets they don't like. If so, I would maybe try doing a mix of pellets and shavings with a layer of shavings on top of the pellets, then gradually over a few weeks, use less and less shavings until you no longer need them and your buns are used to the wood pellets.

If they will use their old litter box with wood pellets in it and just not the new litter box, then it's likely they are 'protest peeing' because you changed things in their enclosure and they are showing their disapproval :p Once the new litter box starts getting their scent on it(which you can aid by soaking up some urine with a paper towel and rubbing it on the inside of the new box) and they get used to it, they should start using it more. Once they do you can gradually phase out their old litter box.

Latest posts

Back