Height of x-pen

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katiecrna

Reaction score
I bought a x-pen that is 30in tall. I keep my 2lbs lionhead in our apartment living room which you can imagine is kind of small. The x-pen is an eye sore because it's so tall. I want to get the same one just 24" tall instead. Is 24" a save height so my little bunny won't jump out? I know that I can't put tall play boxes In there but anyone have any experience with heights of their x-pen?

I bought a x-pen that is 30in tall. I keep my 2lbs lionhead in our apartment living room which you can imagine is kind of small. The x-pen is an eye sore because it's so tall. I want to get the same one just 24" tall instead. Is 24" a save height so my little bunny won't jump out? I know that I can't put tall play boxes In there but anyone have any experience with heights of their x-pen?

I have a Flemish Giant. She's not full grown yet, only 4 and a half months old. I built her pen with CC cubes, two cubes tall (28 inches). In less than a week she learned how to climb up the cubes and get out of the pen. She doesn't jump, she climbs. If the openings in the wire (or whatever your pen is made of) are big enough so that your rabbit can put her feet in them, she could also figure out how to climb out. I tried covering the pen with a sheet to discourage her climbing, but she then learned how to pull the sheet down with her teeth and get out anyway. Now I have placed a large thick piece of cardboard over her pen. The first night, she climbed up and knocked the cardboard off and escaped. Now I've placed a couple of heavy objects on the cardboard and so far no more escapes.

I also have two dwarf rabbits in another pen, one is a Netherland dwarf and the other is a mix, less than 5 lb. Neither has ever escaped from their pen.

It all depends on the rabbit. If your rabbit isn't trying to get out of the pen and shows no interest in climbing, then you might be ok. However, personally if I were in doubt between two heights of pen, I'd go for the taller one just to be on the safe side. If you decide to go for the shorter pen, just make sure you don't keep any objects near the side, they will even use their litter box to stand on and climb or jump out (that's the first thing my Flemish did when she learned to escape). They also figure out how to push things closer to the side and get out - at least my giant escape artist did.

If you put a lid on it sure, otherwise 30" probably isn't tall enough. My Lion x lop female has no issues jumping over a 36" barrier. That's jump not climb, if they can climb then they can get over taller.
Some people will say you're fine with shorter, but your rabbit wont jump out until they do, and then it's too late.

The smaller the rabbit, the higher they can jump! The large rabbits can't get themselves as high as the smaller ones.

That said, I would think 24" would be too short for any bunny. I've always used 30" pens and have never had an escape. However, I have never had a dwarf rabbit either. My smallest rabbit was 5 lbs.

Latest posts

Back