Mothers eating babies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sugarfoot37

Reaction score
I have a rabbit that just ate her babies.Nasty! Please help why do they do this?:X

Hi Sugarfoot37,

Sorry to hear this. It's so upsetting to see such athing. Mother rabbits don't seem to have that strongmaternity drive that dogs and cats do.

I'm not sure that we really know why mother rabbits do that.Some say it's because the rabbit thinks the baby rabbit is a mouse,some say it's stress, others say that the rabbit is lacking somethingin their diet. I've also heard that the rabbit may not knowwhat is coming out of her and will eat the babies as she wouldafterbirth, which would be as a result of her inexperience as a mother.

Is this her first litter? If it's not, I wouldn't breed her again.

-Carolyn

It always really annoys me that I never have any advice to give people (im so sorry

about that everyone) So all i can say is i really hope some one lyk carolyn or

pamgives u sum good advice. And i hope you find out why what happened

happened.

Lots n lots of love
Lauren and ebony
xoxoxoxoxox

Loz and Ebony,

Don't get discouraged. I didn't know a thing about rabbitsuntil I had gotten one. It was through reading and this boardand another that I've learned what I know. Believe me, I havea long way to go!

Given time, you will be answering questions yourself. Just be patient. It won't be long.

We're happy to have you among us.

:)

-Carolyn

I'm with Carolyn on this one. I too, knew nothingabout rabbits until I got one and found this website. I'm so lucky tohave found Pam and Carloyn and Buck and the others. They havedone wonders for me with their helpful advice.

So I thank them all :) If it wasn't for them, I feel Megan would stillbe without Timothy Hay and kinda afraid of us. Now she eats like a pig.lol. And she comes to me all the time and paws my face and jumps on myhead...:S haha

So Thank You Everyone!!

P.S I get to see my Peppy tonight!! I'm so excited!!!

Latest posts

Back