Dealing with disapproving parents

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parcel

Reaction score
I have three buns now- a bonded M/F pair and a single girl named Juneau who recently lost her husbun. I have been shopping around for a new companion for her as she is nervous and definitely benefits from companionship. I fell in love with a couple of 8 week old boys I saw on a craigslist ad, but the thing is, I want both. One is a squirrel holland lop and the other is a harlequin lionhead. I have the space to house a couple more, but my family and friends keep telling me that I need to be happy with what I have. I am. I am beyond happy with my current three. It feels a little bit empty without a fourth, but I the suggestion of a fifth has my parents especially telling me that I need to stop "collecting" pets. That was extremely offensive to me, as I love all my furbabies and spend time with each of them every single day. The dog belongs to my parents, so the only pets that are mine are the bunnies and a hamster, all of whom are kept in a pet room that is kept impeccable. They keep telling me that I'm going to get too busy for them, and that I don't know what's going to happen in the future. That's true, but I'm a college student with my own funds. I know that my bunnies are my priority and I would never let anything get in the way of that- I have made that lifetime commitment, and I understand that I will have to make sacrifices. Heck, they're the reason I go to school in my city and live at home... doesn't that show enough commitment?

Alright, this got pretty rambly, but it makes me so upset. And I still really want the two boys. My parents are currently saying no for my "well-being".. any ideas on how to convince them otherwise? They're a huge part of my life (and Juneau needs a buddy!)

some rabbits don't need a 'buddy', like mine, he lives perfectly fine on his own. But of course, if your rabbit is depressed, then a buddy would be ideal. If your parents said no, then theirs not much else you can do except to wait and keep POLITELY asking them ( but never bug them about it 24/7). heck it took me 2 YEARS before my parents let me get another rabbit (i used to have two angoras, that's a story for another time.)
(sorry if i sounded a little rude, i don't mean to)

Your parents are right.
Their house so their rules.
You dont know whats going to happen in the future.
Especially as a student all the more reason to NOT get more animals until your have a place of your own.

That's true that I don't know what's going to happen in the future, but I don't understand what the difference between 4 and 5 is. And I know that they will be a part of my future.

Just to be clear, I have the green light on a fourth- it's the fifth that they're discouraging. I'm not that upset about them not allowing me another. What's bothering me is the fact that they think I'm a hoarder.

It sounds like you are trying to unnecessarily complicate your life. I just did that myself so I can safely say if things are manageable and easy for now I would stick with that. Since you asked.

I really wouldn't take the two males. I mean, you want a friend for your 'widowed' female. That's fine. But what about the male that's going to be left alone? You won't be able to bond two males and a female, it never works. So, what if you feel the 5th bunny is not happy alone? I mean, your other bunnies are all bonded, so why would he be left alone? Is that fair to him if he turns out to be the kind of rabbit who don't do well alone? So then what... take a 6th? And maybe when you'll go buy that 6th rabbit, you'll really want another rabbit from her litter because rabbits are just so cute. What's one more, right?
Besides, when you'll move from your parents house, will you have the space for 3 cages?

I'm also kinda curious about how you think you'll manage the free time of your rabbits with five rabbits. Rabbits need at least 5 hours a day outside of their cages, as I'm sure you already know. Rotating so that two pairs (which obviously can't be let outside at the same time in the same space) can have their necessary freedom seems doable. But I don't really see how you hope to manage that adding the single male to the mix.

Then, you say you have money. How old are your current bunnies? What happens if 3 rabbits need a vet at the same time (with two rabbits who will be the same age, it's highly probable it's going to happen) - will you have 1000 + $ for them? Because it really goes that high that quickly.

So, you have found two cute rabbits. Being an adult means you have to make rational choices. I mean, it's normal to want them both - I've been to my dog's breeder two years ago to chose my puppy and I really felt like picking at least two because they were all so beautiful and cute and I couldn't chose between mine and another. But I chose because it would have been idiotic and irresponsible to bring two home. I don't regret for one second to have resisted the impulse.

I really wouldn't take the two males. I mean, you want a friend for your 'widowed' female. That's fine. But what about the male that's going to be left alone? You won't be able to bond two males and a female, it never works.

That's definitely not always true. I have had two successful M/M/F trios from completely different backgrounds, and I assume two that were raised together would be even easier.

Regarding the rotation, I am able to give both my pair and my single 12 hours of free range each day, so that really isn't a problem either.

That being said, I understand where everyone is coming from. I may just end up going to the HRS and letting Juneau decide anyway, because she's tough to bond as it is.

For what it's worth, here's my 2 cents. College classes should take priority. In other words, a student's responsibility is to learn the material to help him or her be ready for a job. Studying for your classes should be considered a job.

I am also a college student, although I am only going part time due to I also work. I will have to say this is my 2nd time in college (after many years of working and being out of school). I do have a home of my own. I have sacrificed most of my free time to study for classes. Due to having pets, I do take care of them, but they have gotten less attention. On the other hand, there is no way I would give up my pets, just because I'm going to school. I have given my rabbits good-sized cages where they can get a bit of exercise, and I give them as much out of cage time as I can.

Every semester has had it's own challenges, but I know my pets have helped me cope with things and they are the reason I keep going. I currently have 2 smallish dogs and 5 rabbits, although I had more rabbits this summer due to a few litters (no more breeding, I've learned my lesson). On the other hand, those same pets can become a cause for worry. The previous semester (spring 2016, late January to early May) ... one of my challenges was one of my senior dogs, with kidney issues, started eating very little in early February. Making a longer story short, there was a very rough 2 week period, ending in her being put to sleep. She was 14+ years old, and I had her just over 13 years. It took me a few weeks to really get back into studying. Despite that, and other personal issues, I still made it through that semester and with good grades. I still miss that little dog. This semester, I nursed a rabbit through a time with GI statis.

I guess what it all comes down to is, like others have said, I'd encourage you to stay with 4 rabbits. I'd encourage you to make it a priority to do well in your classes, if you aren't already. But only you know your schedule and how much time you can devote to your pets.

<snip>.

Just to be clear, I have the green light on a fourth- it's the fifth that they're discouraging. I'm not that upset about them not allowing me another. What's bothering me is the fact that they think I'm a hoarder.

As long as your pets are being kept in a clean environment and being taken care of properly, that is not being a hoarder. A hoarder generally has more pets that he/she can take care of properly, and that does not sound like that is the case here.

I agree with Tumpingberry on this one. I'm also a college student (a full time graduate student at 26 credit hours per semester) and I work 15 hours a week to feed myself and pets and brother. And there is no way my pets would be even remotely appropriately treated without help from my wonderful partner. And I only have three pets!

Further, if all three happened to need emergency care all at once, I'm not sure I'd be able to afford it honestly (even with the discounts I get from being a veterinary student- I only have a few thousand saved up for emergencies at this point), let alone more. And, at this point, only one is on chronic medications, but as they get older, that will change.

Basically, I could not personally have more than the 3 pets that I do (and my apartment has a 3 pet limit :p) and care for them appropriately, even with my partner's help (he even takes the cat on a walk every day for me!). I would maybe trust your parents' judgement on this one, and limit the pets until you know for sure you can handle it.

Latest posts

Back