How do you store your hay?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katiecrna

Reaction score
Does anyone store their hay in bins or anything? I need some ideas for hay storage that is easy on the eyes.

i use a plastic clear bin i bought from walmart, i keep it in a closet in the bunny room (along with the bin for litter, and pellets)

How do i store my hay? In an open garbage bag in a giant pile that looks like a disaster ;)

Find a plastic bin big enough that you like the looks of. With christmas coming stores will have lots of larger storage bins for sale. You may want to put a few holes in the bin to ensure adequate air flow.

If youre not feeling the plastic look, get a wooden box, chest, or trunk. Maybe one of those wooden storage benches you would put at the end of your bed. Again just ensure good air flow.

I have a plastic kitchen trash can (13 gal size) that I keep filled with hay in our laundry room. That's what I use every day.

I have a secondary, larger plastic tub (55 gal) out on my porch that is filled with hay and is used to refill the kitchen trash can. It can refill that trash can about 5 ? times.

The full bale of hay is covered with a tarp in the back part of our property and can fill that 55 gallon tote about 5 ? times.

We live in the desert, so mold isn't a problem with the plastic. But I believe that the plastic doesn't work so well in more humid areas unless punched with air holes.

We keep our main 'bail' (25 lbs when full) in the closet in a cardboard box (in which it came), but to make for easy grabbing and filling, we keep a small amount in a storage container (as suggested above) that's about 2 ft x 1ft x 2ft.

We have a plastic patio bin that we keep outside. It has small air holes in it so we keep it up off the ground. The hay stays dry and we haven't had any problems with critters getting in it. It holds exactly one bale.

whatever you put your hay in make sure it's a container that breathes. Hay moulds REALLY quickly if in a sealed container. You can't always see the mould. So if you use a plastic bin and leave the top off or drill holes in the lid and sides.

I buy the 60 lb boxes from Small Pet Select and keep it in a downstairs closet, then use a small secondary container to transport what I need upstairs to the rabbits. The box allows the hay to breath, storing it inside the house keeps the temperature & humidity at a constant level, and the closet prevents the entire floor from smelling like hay :)

How much hay are you looking to store?

Latest posts

Back