Wild Rabbits found

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alfansor

Reaction score
Hey all,

Recently I was preparing my beds for this years plants and I found 3 baby rabbits all snuggled together in a corner. I left them alone for a week or two, and now upon closer inspection I see that they have their eyes open and are semi -aware. I have not touched them yet.

My question is, is it possible for me to take one of the baby rabbits and keep him as my pet? How will the mother react if she only has 2 babies left instead of 3?

I do not recommend keeping a wild rabbit as a pet. Chances are he/she will be afraid of you as wild rabbits are typically much more high strung than domestic ones and are more likely to hurt themselves in captivity.
Their mom should be checking in on them just few times a day and she'll feed them then. You should just leave them be and let her do her job.

Additionally, if you're in the US, having a wild rabbit in your posession is illegal.

There are plenty of domestic rabbits out there that are in need of homes and I'd recommend you look into adopting one (or two!) of them!

I do not recommend keeping a wild rabbit as a pet. Chances are he/she will be afraid of you as wild rabbits are typically much more high strung than domestic ones and are more likely to hurt themselves in captivity.
Their mom should be checking in on them just few times a day and she'll feed them then. You should just leave them be and let her do her job.

Additionally, if you're in the US, having a wild rabbit in your posession is illegal.

There are plenty of domestic rabbits out there that are in need of homes and I'd recommend you look into adopting one (or two!) of them!

Im in Canada, so it should be fine to keep one. Will the rabbits still be afraid after a while since I will be raising them from they were small? Also what would the mother do if I took 1 of the 3?

I don't think you're allowed to keep native wildlife captive in Canada either. I'm not sure how the laws apply on continents where the domestic rabbit species and the wild rabbit species are the same, but that is not the case in Canada either If these were feral domestic rabbits, this might be a different story, but you say these are wild rabbits and they are not designed for captivity. Domestic rabbits have been bred for many years to adapt to our environment in captivity, but to take a healthy wild rabbit into captivity isn't right.

I don't think you're allowed to keep native wildlife captive in Canada either. I'm not sure how the laws apply on continents where the domestic rabbit species and the wild rabbit species are the same, but that is not the case in Canada either If these were feral domestic rabbits, this might be a different story, but you say these are wild rabbits and they are not designed for captivity. Domestic rabbits have been bred for many years to adapt to our environment in captivity, but to take a healthy wild rabbit into captivity isn't right.

Alright I'll just let them be. Hopefully they wont ravage my garden when they grow up. Thanks for the help!

:yeahthat:From what I've read here and elsewhere, the success rate with raising wild babies is abysmal. Best to let them be and enjoy form a distance. As for the garden, why not have 2--one for you and one for them. A little fencing work is all it takes.

Latest posts

Back