Chewing On Everything!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lover4daisy

Reaction score
Uggg!I cany have anything in Daisys cage that is soft enough for her to shred or chew!! Durring the winter I put in cardboard boxes to keep her warm. In the morning the are compleetly shredded and she is EATING them. Just sitting there and eatig the cardboard like hay.....ugghhh..... I have chewing blocks in her cage. but she perfers chewing on everything else. Cardboard, blankets, towels, etc..etc...
How can I stop this behavior?

Is she spayed? I think getting her spayed would help the chewing subside a little. I know what its like to have a rabbit who chews on everything. Ellie goes for my major appliances though.
I give Ellie newspaper and cardboard to chew on and shred. She loves it, it doesn't bother me. She also has some wiffle balls to play with and a set of baby keys to rattle, and the standard TP and paper towel rolls to throw and play with.
I would just let her chew up the cardboard.

You could also try to get her a different type of hay, so its like "special" hay, so it might encourage her to eat more hay instead of chewing on stuff.

Does she get out of the cage time? She could need more exercise time, she might be bored in her cage and thats why she's tearing a lot of stuff up.

Durring the winter I put in cardboard boxes to keep her warm. In the morning the are compleetly shredded and she is EATING them. Just sitting there and eatig the cardboard like hay.....ugghhh.....

Let her have the cardboard, if she enjoys it. Bunnies have to chew, and chewing on that's better than chewing on the furniture.

Assuming it's just the usual corrugated cardboard (not painted or plastic coated or anything like that), there's really no difference between cardboard and wood chewing blocks and uncoated paper and hay - it's all plant fiber. Doesn't really matter if it's cut into blocks or shredded and compressed into sheets or mown off the field. Cellulose and a little water, basically.

I don't know where you live but you could try talking to managers at any stores where you live and they may hold some boxes for you if you are going through a lot. You could then stock up and have plenty for keeping her warm as well as for her to chew.

You could remove any tape or staples allowing you to fold flat extra boxes to make it easier to store and they'll take up less room that way.

Ours love cardboard and brown grocery bags too. Just make sure that any boxes given don't have photo quality pics as that is a plastic applique and not good for rabbits--the rest are put on with soy ink just like the newspaper so it is neutral and they can ingest, digest, and pass it on thru--ours have been at it for more than a decade.

Latest posts

Back