bunny "couple" - spay questions

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

curiouscarrot

Reaction score
My new boy adoptee is neutered but the girl isn't. I'm sending her in to be "done". I have some questions:

given that they live together, will he fret or anything when she "disappears" for the day and, if so, what to do about it, if there's anything you can do?

when she comes home smelling different, are there likely to be any issues?
Can she just go straight back into the hutch with him? He won't attack her or anything if she smells like antiseptic instead of bunny?

What about issues with her wound? Will he try to lick it or anything like that, which means she should she be isolated until it heals? (yes, I'll ask the vet, but just trying to be prepared in case I need to sort out special arrangements for her recovery)

Thanks. :)

I would keep them apart for at least a couple days. This lets her recover from the anaesthetic and lets her get back to eating well. If there are any levels in the cage, they should be apart longer as jumping up can open the incision. You can keep the cages close to each other as that should help them bond again once she is ready.

Be careful with reintroducing them. The smells of the vet can upset him, so he might not recognize her. Her hormones will also be different, so she may act differently toward him.

Although I have no personal experience with it, I've read where some folks recommend taking both bunnies to the vet so there's no confusion when they come home.

Yes, thanks.

I'll check with the vet as to whether he can go too, but I wonder whether it would be worth putting him under the stress of it when it isn't necessary. Of course, staying with his "friend" might mean less stress than being alone....

If she goes alone, I'll have to read up on introductions. I've just got them and they were a pair already, so I know nothing about introducing/reintroducing. I'll put her in the portable cage and park her next to the hutch.

My rabbits always go to the vet together even when only one of them has an appointment so that nobunny comes back smelling strangely. I'd ask your vet if that's an option in this situation.

Thanks for the replies. I've booked her in for next Monday. I asked the vet about sending him along, and she said that if they are separated after Cassie comes home, then she'll be back to "smelling like herself" after the quarantine and as long as she's being introduced back into his territory he shouldn't have an issue with her returning "home". They did say they'd have him along if I wanted to send him too, but if they don't think it necessary, I'll just take her by herself. I wouldn't be able to put them in the one carry cage on the way home, I suppose, so it'll be easier to take her on her own. If she's drowsy when she comes home, she'll probably like to have some quiet time on her own. I hope so, anyway.

Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back