A Weighty Issue

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeFuzz

Reaction score
I took in a new foster today and I had not seen him before. He is seriously obese. So obese in fact, he may actually be the obesity epidemic. I've had chubby ones before, but whoa, with this guy. The person who gave him up was obviously well meaning and loved him, but the food she gave me was almost like trail mix it was so junky. Black oil sunflower seeds, corn, fruit, etc just awful. Also she was giving him those candy coated pretzel things on a regular daily basis.

Buns in the Fuzz house do not eat like that, period. Limited (strictly!) pellets, hays, and large green salads every day. He seems very sweet and outgoing, which is good, because me and this guy will be exercising our buns (hah) off. I am slightly concerned on how to start as I would prefer to stop the junk outright but don't want to upset his stomach. Any diet plan gurus out there?

I would think it would be the same for him, like it is with other buns, that it's best to slowly change their diet to minimize any chance of digestive upset. Plus since he is used to junk food, it may be hard to get him to eat the healthier stuff. Hopefully he just likes food, and will eat anything you give him. That will certainly make it lots easier to switch him over. Just start transitioning the pellets over the next couple weeks, and then introduce veggies one at a time in small amounts, watching for digestive upset. But it would be best to get the pellets switched before starting on the veggies much, because if the pellets start causing a digestive problem, you want to be able to know what exactly is causing it, and if you are introducing too many new things at the same time, it will be hard to know what is causing the problem. If he is used to a lot of pellets(more than he needs for his ideal body weight), then it might help to also gradually decrease the amount, and not just do it all at once. You should be able to give him unlimited hay outright depending on what you use. Usually non grain grass hays can just be given without a gradual introduction. I can't imagine him having too much trouble, considering the diet he's been on, and the fact that it didn't make him sick.

Last edited:
Getting him on a good diet is important. I would start switching now and try to do it as fast as you can without upsetting him. Start mixing the pellets or even give them in separate bowls so you know what he is eating. Gradually decrease the amount of the old pellets he gets over a couple weeks. Limit pellets, try to give the amount for what he should weight and now what he does weight. It may take a few days to bring him down to a more appropriate amount of pellets. Offer lots of hay as well so he is eating more of that and not as many pellets.

For veggies, unless you know what he is used to eating, don't give too much too fast. You can start with simple ones like lettuce or parsley. Only give small amounts until he is more adjusted and don't give too many kinds of veggies.

Exercise is also important, but he might not be able to do to much right now. Even getting him to move around a bit is good. A larger cage with food spread out will encourage him to move to get to what he wants.

I had a bonded pair that I fostered for a bit and both were quite fat. A good diet (they came on a mix with lots of horrid stuff in it) and limited pellets really helped them loose weight. Exercise also was important, but the diet really made a high difference. Unfortunately, the people who adopted them didn't stick to a great diet and they have gained back some weight.

I would think it would be the same for him, like it is with other buns, that it's best to slowly change their diet to minimize any chance of digestive upset. Plus since he is used to junk food, it may be hard to get him to eat the healthier stuff. Hopefully he just likes food, and will eat anything you give him. That will certainly make it lots easier to switch him over. Just start transitioning the pellets over the next couple weeks, and then introduce veggies one at a time in small amounts, watching for digestive upset. But it would be best to get the pellets switched before starting on the veggies much, because if the pellets start causing a digestive problem, you want to be able to know what exactly is causing it, and if you are introducing too many new things at the same time, it will be hard to know what is causing the problem. If he is used to a lot of pellets(more than he needs for his ideal body weight), then it might help to also gradually decrease the amount, and not just do it all at once. You should be able to give him unlimited hay outright depending on what you use. Usually non grain grass hays can just be given without a gradual introduction. I can't imagine him having too much trouble, considering the diet he's been on, and the fact that it didn't make him sick.

He has been getting unlimited hay. Botanical or orchard (of all things, my dog is allergic to most of the other hays) and I grow trays of wheatgrass, but he hasn't had any yet. I feed a high quality pellet and have already started decreasing both his junk food and pellet without tummy trouble. So far, so good!

Getting him on a good diet is important. I would start switching now and try to do it as fast as you can without upsetting him. Start mixing the pellets or even give them in separate bowls so you know what he is eating. Gradually decrease the amount of the old pellets he gets over a couple weeks. Limit pellets, try to give the amount for what he should weight and now what he does weight. It may take a few days to bring him down to a more appropriate amount of pellets. Offer lots of hay as well so he is eating more of that and not as many pellets.

For veggies, unless you know what he is used to eating, don't give too much too fast. You can start with simple ones like lettuce or parsley. Only give small amounts until he is more adjusted and don't give too many kinds of veggies.

Exercise is also important, but he might not be able to do to much right now. Even getting him to move around a bit is good. A larger cage with food spread out will encourage him to move to get to what he wants.

I had a bonded pair that I fostered for a bit and both were quite fat. A good diet (they came on a mix with lots of horrid stuff in it) and limited pellets really helped them loose weight. Exercise also was important, but the diet really made a high difference. Unfortunately, the people who adopted them didn't stick to a great diet and they have gained back some weight.

I've given him a tiny amount of green leafy lettuces and a sprig of mint without issue, so hopefully that continues as he tries other greens. I don't think he was given veg as he was pretty wary of it for awhile, but it was gone in the AM.

He came with a pet store cage and small pen area, so I ditched the cage and put him in a bigger pen for space. He has fantastic litter box habits, but his box was barely big enough for a baby bun. So he got a bigger potty box for sure. Since his litter habits are so good, he has had quite a bit of free run for exercise. He can use all the exercise he can get.

This might be my first failed foster for sure. Not sure I can watch him go to another home. He's just too sweet.

Latest posts

Back