Planning a garden

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeroshero

Reaction score
This morning I decided I would like to plant a garden for fresh greens for Zero, my sisters bun, and her husbands tortoise so it will definitely have Bok Choy, cilantro, and parsley. Has anyone grown veggies for their buns? Was it worth the effort? I love gardening anyway but I am not sure how much food should be grown and what types of veggies to plant. It might be a little late to plant for the summer because of the heat but I will have to research that. Suggestions?

I've never had a garden specifically for bunnies but I have given them stuff from my regular garden. This year I'll be growing a bunny garden, I'm growing basil, lemon balm, carrots, dill, and lettuce. If you only have one bunny you might want to just grow a little bit this year, or you could grow more and eat the left overs yourself lol.

I want to look into growing arugula as its not always available organically at the market. I bought a parsley and cilantro plant for Sophie as well as planted some red oak leaf lettuce and some frisée lettuce. My mom made her own DIY grow op for her spring seedlings but I totally want to make one for year round indoors. With the way Sophie mows through her veggies I think it would be great to grow your own, even in the winter months, as that's not an option in the great white north lol.

I've never grown a garden for Ash either, but I have grown a garden for myself. I myself LOVE gardening. And I've grown wheat grass for Ash and to me it is worth the effort. I love gardening like I said so its fun for me to grow the plants for Ash. And its always rewarding to see the bunny enjoying his greens at the end. About what veggies to plant, I don't have much experince in growing veggies. Mostly I just grow fruits. But I did grow some wheat grass for Ash and it took maybe only 2-4 weeks for it to be harvested. Also, you said it might be too late to grow anything because of the heat, well I grew Ash some wheat grass in a pot in the winter and it grew just fine. It didn't need much light either. So you could grow some wheat grass in a pot. And I'm sure there are lots of other plants you can plant in a pot for Zero.

Good Luck! :)

Thank you for the tips, it seems that wheat grass is just as good for them as it is for us and it seems to be easy to grow indoors. I am looking at lights for hydroponics I seriously need to pump the brakes!

Yeah, I think that wheat grass is pretty good for them. It is easy to grow indoors, but keep in mind that you might need pretty big pot depending on how much you want to grow. What I did was get a large pot and then I got a bag of soil I think it might have been potting soil, I'm not sure. Anyway I filled up the pot until the soil reached an inch below the rim and I took some wheat seeds and I just poured them over the soil and used my hands to spread them over the soil. You don't need to bury them under the soil. And than I sprayed the seeds with water. I sprayed them every day until they sprouted (I did keep watering them after they sprouted) and than they grew until they were a couple inches tall and then I clipped them and put them in the fridge and fed some to Ash every day. I think that the wheat grass will even grow a second time after you clip the first batch. That's what happened with me anyway. It grew a second time so I watered the second batch every day and it grew pretty well. Oh and if you do decide to grow wheat grass I advise you soak the seeds in a bowl of water overnight the night before you plant them, it helps them sprout. Oh and the temperature of the water doesn't matter, I just used cold water from the sink.

Good Luck!

Last edited:
You could plant mint as well. I know Thumper really likes mint and I just absolutely love the smell.

I haven't grown specifically for Thumper but we plant a large garden every year. We eat it fresh, can it and give plenty away and yes, Thumper also gets fresh veggies. We always plant extra that way if things don't go so well we should still be fine and if everything does go well we just give more away. We never have trouble finding people willing to take free, fresh veggies and fruit.

We have a book on gardening for small spaces so you could just do some searching on the internet and I'm sure you could find plenty of suggestions for what you could grow in pots indoors.

I have several pots that are just for the buns. I grew carrots so they could have the tops. I planted the carrots more densely than you would if you wanted the carrots and grew a thick carpet of tops for them. I also have basil, oregano, curly parsley, italian parsley, thyme, and mint plants.

I have some "people food" planted and the bunnies have been helping me with that. The only suggestion I have is to get something that likes your conditions (unless you are doing hydroponics). Coriander (cilantro) just bolts to seed here so I don't think I got anything from the ones I planted, they just bolted, were over, and that was that. Parsley will grow like a weed. I have lots of rosemary and the bunnies seem to like that. If you plant things that will do well, you don't have to put much effort into it.

My parents planted black seeded simpson lettuce a couple years ago. We always get tons of it and if you let it go to seed it will come back the next year. I also plant basil and parsley for my rabbits, but I don't get all that much basil...

Last edited:
Wow I never realized how much of a variety of greens these guys can eat. I wish I had more space in the house or a greenhouse outside to grow. Thank you for all of the suggestions! Now I just have to figure out where to start.

Back