What is the deal with Alfalfa?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Callaway

Reaction score
Okay, quick question as I am browsing forums and seeing peoples suggestions to others.

Is alfalfa hay and pellets okay to give bunnies? I was told by the woman we got Cally from that rabbits shouldnt have alfalfa hay and said that it can potentially "cut" the stomach/intestines/esophagus of a rabbit. I had a vet confirm it. I have been told to go Timothy all the way so Cally gets timothy hay and timothy pellets. BUT like I said, I have seen others on here posting to give buns alfalfa hay and pellets.

What is correct? Or are there limitations? Or does it not matter?:thud:

I gave my bunnies alfalfa till they we're 6 mos. old. just switched over to timothy. they are still on young bunny pellets that are alfafa based, I'm leaving them on these till they're 1 year old.

I've never heard of alfalfa cutting the lining of anyone's digestive system...

Generally I recommend a higher protein pellet to growing buns or breeding buns. That usually means an alfalfa-based pellet. If they're getting enough protein, energy and calcium from their pellet, it's fine to give these rabbits grass hay, but the alfalfa hay can help there too. Once they stop growing I recommend switching to a timothy-based pellet and a grass hay (e.g. timothy, orhard, wheat, oat, barley, brome, costal, meadow, bermuda all of which have similar nutrient profiles.). My adult, pet rabbits get an occasional strand of alfalfa as a treat and regularly get a blend of about 5 different kinds of grass hay.

I've never heard of alfalfa cutting the lining of anyone's digestive system...

Generally I recommend a higher protein pellet to growing buns or breeding buns. That usually means an alfalfa-based pellet. If they're getting enough protein, energy and calcium from their pellet, it's fine to give these rabbits grass hay, but the alfalfa hay can help there too. Once they stop growing I recommend switching to a timothy-based pellet and a grass hay (e.g. timothy, orhard, wheat, oat, barley, brome, costal, meadow, bermuda all of which have similar nutrient profiles.). My adult, pet rabbits get an occasional strand of alfalfa as a treat and regularly get a blend of about 5 different kinds of grass hay.

this.

Alfalfa is just too high in protein and calcium for buns that arent growing or breeding

I feed an alfalfa pellet to all my rabbits (babies, breeding/show, retired pets). They do really well on it. The important thing is to limit pellets. None of my rabbits get "unlimited" pellets, even babies. They are all on a specific daily amount - enough to keep them in good energy and body condition without adding extra weight.

Their pellets are supplemented with mixed grass hay because alfalfa on top of alfalfa would be too rich (high calcium, high protein). Timothy provides long-stem fiber without all that. :)

I feed an alfalfa pellet to all my rabbits (babies, breeding/show, retired pets). They do really well on it. The important thing is to limit pellets. None of my rabbits get "unlimited" pellets, even babies. They are all on a specific daily amount - enough to keep them in good energy and body condition without adding extra weight.

Their pellets are supplemented with mixed grass hay because alfalfa on top of alfalfa would be too rich (high calcium, high protein). Timothy provides long-stem fiber without all that. :)
I don't use alfalfa base pellets anymore they are high in calcium and may promote bladder stones. Brent

Alfalfa, or alfalfa-based pellets, don't cause problems if they're used correctly and fed in limited amounts. It's the same with other foods too, of course.

We don't have a problem feeding all our rabbits alfalfa based pellets, but they're not pets. Well. we do have one retired show rabbit that's now a pet, but he's a Brit. If I had a sedentary pet bunny (adult) then I'd probably pick a timothy based pellet.

Latest posts

Back