Raisins & scratching/nipping

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RexiRabbit

Reaction score
Hello, so I am less than a week into owning my new bun and he is super super confident, happy to jump up on my lap, if I'm sitting in his run he clamber as far up my shoulder as he can to sniff my face etc. Really curious. Tonight I have been sitting in with him and he has started clawing and tugging at my jumper and leggings. This is I'm amongst bouts of running and binkying and climbing all over everything at high speed. Then he will flop down next to me and chill (photo attached) for a couple of minutes before starting again. Is this just excitment and looking for attention. Just hoping it's not aggression showing?

Also, how old is it safe to try a bit of raisin/sweeter treats? He is 12 and a half weeks.

Thanks

View attachment 1497467911747.jpg

It's a rabbit, he will scratch and dig in softer fabrics. That's normal, they all do it. Also, he's at the age when hormones will begin to show. If you want him to stay nice and friendly, it might be a good idea to neuter him in a few weeks.
Honestly, I don't recommend raisins or sweet treats. Ever. Your rabbit doesn't need them, he doesn't know what they are and doesn't miss them. A lot of people give them, the way they will bake a cake for their dogs, but I see it as treating animals like small furry humans. Your rabbit will be very happy getting a leaf of chicory instead and it will be a lot better for him. Sugary things won't kill your bunny, but rabbits get fat easily and are really hard to get into fighting fit once they begin to fatten up (the extra weight is really hard on their fragile joints), and sugar really doesn't help the digestive system (if the bunny is even a bit fragile, it can lead to stasis pretty easily). So, that's only my opinion and I know other people give raisins and the like, but I think if you want to improve your rabbit's diet, it would be better to start introducing vegetables (one by one, over the course of several days, beginning with chicory and easy to digest vegetables and following the House Rabbit society list of vegetables) rather than introducing him to junk food. When I want to treat my rabbits, I give them super pricey fancy hay. They love it and it increases their fiber intake which is also good for them.
If you really feel like your rabbit needs some additional sugar (he doesn't), a small piece of fresh fruit is best - at least it's got vitamines and water in it...

Raisins and craisins are fine. Just give one or two as a treat or reward. Let's not get all doomsday about it. Also, the behaviour sounds like he's having fun! Being a youngster and all that. Mini Rex have nice personalities generally. If you intend to neuter I'd start doing some light reading about it. Your bunny is so darn cute... would smooch him all over.

I love giving small treats to my rabbits- I tend to use pellets, but craisins are fine as a one or two per day treat. I tend to avoid grape based anything for my pets due to the possible risk of kidney disease in some dogs (not all dogs)- but that's just me being paranoid. I do give a few dried strawberry or banana slices here and there instead. I personally use treats to make them learn tricks or I will hide them around the apartment to find them; I believe that mental stimulation is way more important than the minor risks associated with a few treats

Thanks for everyone's replies and advice.the plan is definitely to get him neutered. I have him booked in for a vet check and vaccines and am going to talk to them about neutering at that time. I have to say I have had 4 other buns growing up and he is the only one who does the scratching digging thing actually ON me. The others did it with blankets/carpet etc but not my clothes.

The sweet treats were never intended to be even a daily thing and would probably be one about once maybe twice a week to train/reward etc like you have said! Will have a think though. Appreciate everyone's opinions and advice :)

Ahah, some rabbits are more enthusiastic than others when it comes to digging (some of them seem to have stronger instinctive response to things) - Aki is a lot calmer now that she's 8 but when she was younger she scratched (or even nipped if you didn't stop her) at my clothes when she was on my knees. She killed a few tee-shirts ^^. She still digs and tamp the litter and stuff with her paws a lot.

Latest posts

Back