Question about my lionhead

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyBeardedBunny

Reaction score
I've posted before asking about treats for my bunny and I've found some great ones so far! I'm posting again because my lionhead isn't eating his pellets. I've had him for about a month and a half and he just doesn't like them. He loves the dried fruit in the food but that's all he eats of it. He also loves alfalfa and baby carrots. I kind of chew them up a little for him to make it smaller so he doesn't choke. But I got him from a tractor store near Easter time. I'm not sure of his age but I'm sure they have to be a certain age before you can sell them. But I am curious about why he's not eating his pellets and if it's ok for him. Thanks!

Well the thing is when you feed pellets that have dried fruit and seeds in it they will often pick out their favourite stuff and leave the rest. That being said, these types of rabbit food just aren't healthy and not recommended as a part of a balanced bunny diet. You want to choose a Timothy based pellet. If your bunny is young he can have alfalfa hay. But I would get him used to a healthy pellet. I feed my rabbits oxbow brand pellets, but there are other brands too. Fruit and carrots are high in sugar and should be given as treats only. If he's old enough you can try giving him some herbs and salad greens. Most rabbits would kill for cilantro. Other favorites are dandelion leaves, parsley, romaine lettuce and mint. Hope I could help.

Jettison that food. Your bunny should be eating hay and veggies as the main part of the diet. I give mine a small amount of pellet--Kaytee Timothy Complete as it has no Alfalfa. Alfalfa is O K while they are growing but at six months they should transition to a regular hay--Timothy or I use orchard grass as I'm allergic to Timothy. The Alfalfa is high in calcium and protein but is not good for adult bunnies for the same reason. Veggies: mine get Romaine lettuce, parsley, Italian parsley, cilantro and a small (tiny) bit of apple in the morning and at night they get Dandelion, parsley, Italian parsley, cilantro and a very tiny slice of carrot. Unlimited hay all day and 2 tablespoons of pellets at night. he library has an extensive list of proper veggies and the amount per the size of the bunny--veggies should be introduced slowly, not all at once.

I remember your question about treats. You got lots of suggestions, unfortunately, that were from some inexperienced owners that recommended very unhealthy store-bought treats. Hopefully you were able to sort through that and are sticking with either the occasional slice of fruit or the Oxbow natural treats.

The reason your rabbit is refusing pellets is likely because he's preferring the sweets - just like a human toddler. The pellet food with sliced fruit in it is already over-dosing him with too many treats. Those mixed type of pellets provide more "treats' than they should have on any given day. If he is additionally being offered other treats, then you are raising a sweet tooth junkie!

Pellets should be plain pellets -- no add ins. Timothy hay should be unlimited -- this is THE MOST IMPORTANT part of his diet. He should be eating his body size in hay every day.

If a rabbit gets too many treats or too many pellets, he won't eat enough hay.

Given what you've described so far, I'd suggest it is time to "train" your rabbit to eat healthy. That is all up to you. You can begin by stopping all extra treats of any kind completely for now. He has to get out of the habit of eating all that sugary stuff.

At the same time, get some healthy pellets (some recommendations can be found here) and transition him slowly to the healthy pellets so he no longer gets that mixed pellet food.

And always provide plenty of timothy hay during this transition. (If he's getting alfalfa hay right now, then mix in some timothy so he can get used to it). Refresh his hay twice per day to encourage him to eat it.

Have you introduced any greens to him? (carrots are high in sugar and are considered a treat) Greens come next after hay in importance but must be introduced one type at a time.

If you follow these suggestions, then that will will get him back on track and eating a healthy diet.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back