dominance question...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

junior_n_sweetpea

Reaction score
When we first gotthe bunsJr.seemed to be the more dominent. He was a couple of weeks older. Hewould mount Sweetpea all the time. But then all of a suddenhe stopped. Well now Sweetpea has started mounting Jr.! Isthere always a dominant one in a pair of bunnies? They are not at allaggressive to one another. In fact they spend alot of time grooming andsnuggling. Anyone have any insight?

Pretty much. If they've been neuteredand are not fighting, a little dominance posturing from one or theother will probably not result in any harm.

If they are approaching or are at puberty, you could be on the cusp ofa significant problem because the fighting could get rather fierce,resulting in permanent injury, high medical costs, or evenfatality. Be prepared to separate them if fighting begins toescalate significantly.

Buck

Buck Jones wrote:
Pretty much.? If they've been neutered and are not fighting, alittle dominance posturing from one or the other will probably notresult in any harm.

If they are approaching or are at puberty, you could be on the cusp ofa significant problem because the fighting could get rather fierce,resulting in permanent injury, high medical costs, or even fatality.?Be prepared to separate them if fighting begins to escalatesignificantly.

Buck

Buck's right on, as per usual.

-Carolyn

I'm not sure how young your bunnies are, but myvet told me that when rabbits are young they tend to go back and forthwith mounting and dominating. There is one that generally reignssupreme, but when they're young they sort of take turns bossingeachother around. I was concerned with my rabbits after we adopted oursecond rabbit, Mella. She's 3 months or so younger than Pauly. He'spretty much the dominant one, but I was noticing the same thing. Shewas bossing him and nibbling the top of his head. The vet said that's acommon spot for rabbits to nibble to show dominance. So if they'relittle guys, they might just need to grow up a bit before they developthe real pecking order.

They are only 4 months old. I've never seen thembe aggressive to eachother and they are inseparable. So hopefully theyare just being "kids"! Thanks for all the info!

Well, you are right on that edge I was referringto in the above post. Don't be surprised if fightingescalates in frequency and/or intensity. It is highlyrecommended thatif your buns are not to be bred, that they beneutered in the interests of good health, longer life spans,andless aggressivebehavior.

Keep a close eye on them, particularly if they are of samesex. If heterosexual, you may find one of them is alreadypregnant, or soon to be.

Buck

Watch for fighting, both my boys were fixed lastAugust and were best of friends from 3 month of age for Spice and 4months for Mocha. In January they started fighting to the point thatthey would have killed eachother. I'm not saying this always happens,but if one is dominent, and the less dominent one chooses suddenly tochallenge the dominent one, it could be disasterous. Fighting can occuras suddenly as within a few hours. The morning when I fed my bunnies,they were completely happy to be together and cuddling and grooming,the next hour or so, they were fighting like no other. Just a cautionthat fixing them wont always prevent fights and it's always possible.

Latest posts

Back